The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one very strange chick hatched in the bunch...it looks very chipmunk-like and is NOT normal at all for a Columbian. After discussing with a genetics friend, it is eb/eb, S/S without any pattern gene (missing Co)....which means not only is the father split to columbian, but the mother is as well. Neat, but very, very rare as it would take a perfect combination to create this and it was only due to the accident of my "project male" that it was discovered.
Hi Scott, the Columbian chick down is very interesting. Did you by any chance ever get any pictures of this chick with it's adult feathers?

Last edited:

These photos do not show their keels, legs, back line, wing set or other pertinent information, but does show the top view, a view that is important. "Profile birds" are not always great birds. I can see the feather looks pretty slick on them. They both have nice wide heads. From this view, the bird on the left has the wider tail tent. If these two females were the best I had? I'd go forward with both, hatch and brood out a bunch, no less than 25 and cull through for better chicks and keep on moving on. I'd love to get these into my hands. I'm guessing they are like picking up a bag of quick-crete. I'd like to feel their back bones, hips, breast and spread those wings.

So much will depend on the physical structure of cockbird used. What strengths/weakness would he bring to matings? Those are the pertinent questions.

Last edited:
Yes, they and the other pullet not shown are like lifting a bag of feed.
gig.gif
These WRs always fool ya because they look only a little bigger than the other breeds in the coop until you heft them and then you get the surprise. That density of meat, so compact. And, even though they have the most luxurious feathering I've ever handled, it lays close to their body so there's not a lot of extra "fluff" to have to evaluate them through....pretty much what you see is exactly what you get, unlike in other breeds when you grab a seemingly large hen and your hands sink forever into feathers until you feel the actual bird.

Both lines have a great keel and heavy breasts, though one line has a longer leg. The sire is so wide all the way back that he should have backup beepers each time he scratches the ground....he's that wide! He has a lot to offer with his tall legs and neck, wide body and big head. He also has a great temperament and that's important to me....I can do anything with him and he doesn't fight or struggle at all.

I tried to get some good side pics of these birds but with it being cold, they all have their necks pulled down into their bodies and they were all busy eating....took several pics of them walking but just couldn't get a good set of the real profile of the birds, so settled for a back shot. An after eating shot of hugely stuffed crops doesn't always give the best look at the chest either, so I gave up on that...they were too bulged out to show the true line.

so I'm a newbie and didn't do much home work I looked into breeds and found what I wanted was rocks white rocks buff rock and Plymouth barred rocks. i ordered them from mm hatchery and then joined this site I should be getting my day old chicks soon as the next week. looking forward to find out just how bad hatchery stock is. there is a local woman who has pure show breeds I can order from. while I may just do! I will be posting pics so most of you can let me know how bad my hatchery stock is. I don't plan to show my birds but I really wanted true birds to the breed. I will also ask the local woman if I can share a pic of her birds so I may get advice about how great her stock is. hope I can get some good advice. again im a newbie wanted a breed that layed large brown eggs and could be used for meat.

I'm no expert on breeding, nor do I know much about the Barred Rock points, but I can offer an amateur view of a few things real quick...they have some finely barred feathering, but their bodies are all kinds of wrong. Just a few things I noticed in a glance and I'm sure others will get into their finer points, but the male's wings and tail are too, too low set...the wings are the lowest I've ever seen and he has what they call a "rainy day" back, unless he's just standing weird. He's also lacking a breast/keel of good proportions. The hen seems to have a pinched tail but I can't see much else from this view.... she seems to be narrow all the way back from this pic...she just looks like a hatchery BR to me.

Again, I don't know much about the BRs fine points, so others can tell you more. One other thing I do notice...this male's feathers seem to be wearing him and not the other way around...not sure what is desired in that way but he seems to have more feather than bird.

It's always tough to just say to new followers of this thread to "Go read this thread" where we have reviewed many of these topics over and over.

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? Hatcheries breed birds for profit. Mass production and distribution. That's what their companies do. Heritage, true bred, heirloom, exhibition birds, birds of this quality cannot be purchased from a feed store or hatchery. They do not have true bred birds. End of story.

You get a "wanna be" bird from hatcheries. Not bred to standard it will be a pound or two less in size, poor feather, poor patterns, poor heads, tails, breasts, etc. They are bland, egg laying wonders. They produce like the commercial birds they are. These serve a purpose for 99% of folks, especially backyard folks who just want egg layers and they want different "colored" birds. They use the breed names, like Rhode Island Red, Orpington, Rock etc, but they really are not the birds we talk about on the Standard bred breed threads.

Good birds to learn how to keep birds alive. Good birds for a novice to learn on. But one day? Folks find they want they real McCoy's and the real birds only come from those who preserve, breed, exhibit, love and promote the real Plymouth Rocks.

Yes, they and the other pullet not shown are like lifting a bag of feed.
gig.gif
These WRs always fool ya because they look only a little bigger than the other breeds in the coop until you heft them and then you get the surprise. That density of meat, so compact. And, even though they have the most luxurious feathering I've ever handled, it lays close to their body so there's not a lot of extra "fluff" to have to evaluate them through....pretty much what you see is exactly what you get, unlike in other breeds when you grab a seemingly large hen and your hands sink forever into feathers until you feel the actual bird.

Both lines have a great keel and heavy breasts, though one line has a longer leg. The sire is so wide all the way back that he should have backup beepers each time he scratches the ground....he's that wide! He has a lot to offer with his tall legs and neck, wide body and big head. He also has a great temperament and that's important to me....I can do anything with him and he doesn't fight or struggle at all.

I tried to get some good side pics of these birds but with it being cold, they all have their necks pulled down into their bodies and they were all busy eating....took several pics of them walking but just couldn't get a good set of the real profile of the birds, so settled for a back shot. An after eating shot of hugely stuffed crops doesn't always give the best look at the chest either, so I gave up on that...they were too bulged out to show the true line.

Honestly, I cannot wait to see the offspring of these birds.

Me either! I'm jumpin' outta my drawers in anticipation of it all, so much so that this weather really can't dampen my excitement. It's just a temporary blip before the big show~breeding and hatching season.

I'm going to load up anything I have to incubate with as soon as I possibly can so I can get those little feet on the ground. Got all spring and summer to watch them grow, see them get strong and big in the sunshine. Can't wait!

I may even enter a pullet from each line in that March show, just for funzies, Fred. I'll have to call and see what I need to do prior to then as far as cages and such go....could be I can pick up some on the cheap here and there. Or do they have standard cages there that they prefer we use? All things I'll have to find out.

Can't hurt to see what they look like compared to the other WRs there, huh?

Ok, so I don't want to get too discouraged but I have an urgent (to me, lol) question regarding my Barred Rock birds. I have the 2 cockerels and two pullets-10 and 11 mos. old. The cockerels are great, Fred's Hens and xw. The pullets are both xw. Both of the females are getting solid black feathers amongst their plumage. I have 10 single bred eggs in the incubator. If this is a genetic heredity problem I'm sunk this year. I will have to try to raise some shipped eggs and hope for some females that don't display this. I don't want to keep these chicks if the likelihood is great they will inherit this fault. I am terrible at getting decent photos of chickens but I have one of the one pullet that hopefully shows this.

Can someone advise me?
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom