The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta band juveniles. How else can you keep records on them, supposing you have a few dozen birds? My birds earn their juvenile band at 8 weeks, thus assigned a number. They get their adult band at around 18-20 weeks. If you're thinking you can just 'remember" all this stuff, I would question that. The older you get, the less that method is gonna work for you!!! Believe me. hahahaha

Tip: you and use left leg, right leg similar to a code of a toe punch. You can also use color as a further code. Thus, you can see a legband on left leg and mean something different than a band on a right leg. You can have green bands mean something to you and yellow bands mean something else entirely. The number is individual identifcation for the bird, but whether it is right or left, green, blue or yellow in color can mean something easy to see, just by looking at the color of the band and on which leg the band has been placed.

What size of leg bands do you use for your cocks? Size 11 was the largest EZ-Clip available from Twin City and at 1yo they wouldn't fit our WR's. But now I see they have 12's and 14's available. I'm thinking 14's.

What size of leg bands do you use for your cocks? Size 11 was the largest EZ-Clip available from Twin City and at 1yo they wouldn't fit our WR's. But now I see they have 12's and 14's available. I'm thinking 14's.

Last winter, while at a show, I stopped by TwinCities table and bought some bands. Size 11. I find this is a nice size for the Rock adult females. You're right. That size won't reach around a big boned male as he grows those broom stick legs out. Size 12 will work for many males, but for those large boned males, go for even larger sizes.

I like have some size 9's for the juveniles.

Using zip ties, in different colors is only OK. I've used them, but the birds out grow them quickly and you can only code a few birds before you run out of colors to ID them.

I've found, even when the zip ties are loose, they seem to rub a place on the chicken's legs where they sit on the flesh. I'm thinking it's the hard, squared off edge of the tie that does that. I'm really loving the leg bands that Fred recommended...they stay on, even with my birds ranging in the woods, and they seem very comfortable with no evidence of rubbed skin.

Last winter, while at a show, I stopped by TwinCities table and bought some bands. Size 11. I find this is a nice size for the Rock adult females. You're right. That size won't reach around a big boned male as he grows those broom stick legs out. Size 12 will work for many males, but for those large boned males, go for even larger sizes.

I like have some size 9's for the juveniles.

Using zip ties, in different colors is only OK. I've used them, but the birds out grow them quickly and you can only code a few birds before you run out of colors to ID them.

I've found, even when the zip ties are loose, they seem to rub a place on the chicken's legs where they sit on the flesh. I'm thinking it's the hard, squared off edge of the tie that does that. I'm really loving the leg bands that Fred recommended...they stay on, even with my birds ranging in the woods, and they seem very comfortable with no evidence of rubbed skin.
Im glad to hear this. The bands I ordered are called bandettes, I ordered sizes 9 and 11. I will have to order a larger size sometime down the road when the cocks legs get too large.

My bands will be here tomorrow so they will be banded this weekend.

Last edited:
I've started using colored metal leg bands from Randall Burkey for my adult birds. I've tried a few and like these best so far because each band can be set for 3 different sizes so it's more of a one-band-fits all option. And I can color code for breeding pens. They only fit adult size birds tho, so you'd still need a system for young stock.

I've started using colored metal leg bands from Randall Burkey for my adult birds. I've tried a few and like these best so far because each band can be set for 3 different sizes so it's more of a one-band-fits all option. And I can color code for breeding pens. They only fit adult size birds tho, so you'd still need a system for young stock.
I haven't heard of this kind of band. I will look into them. Im hoping I like the bandettes, Ive never used them so I hope they go on and off easy enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom