The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't post here any longer due to personal reasons, but I'm going to give that a rest just one more time...because I do read on here still. I've known Fred for the years I've been on here and I've never once seen the man be rude to anyone here...even in situations where it was difficult to not come back with a harsh comment...like this one. He's nothing but a gentleman~a teacher, with a commitment to learning, teaching and helping others on this site. More than that even, he acts like a true friend to people he's never even met before and that speaks of his kindness and sincerity.

Just because the site is called backyard chickens, it doesn't mean we can't have scholars here...there are many kinds of chickens kept in a backyard and some of them are show royalty...and some are just chickens. There are thousands of threads on this site devoted to just chickens and only a few devoted to the study of what makes top quality in certain breeds. This is one of those threads and that is clearly stated by the first page, so any misunderstanding about the replies given here would be due to a misunderstanding of that very first page, the qualifiers therein and what this thread is trying to accomplish..it's called education. And, no, not all teachers sugar coat their replies to a student's question, particularly if the student didn't bother to read the instructions or the materials being taught in the class.

I saw the chicken and I read the replies. I think the replies were very gently phrased and also full of good information for anyone seriously contemplating taking their chickens to a good show. If a simple "no" would have been given, then one would leave the thread wondering exactly why it wasn't show quality. That the answers were more detailed shows the exact opposite of rudeness, they showed a willingness to teach the "why" of something, which takes more time and thoughtfulness than a mere "no". Anyone truly concerned with the quality of their breed or chicken should fully welcome a more detailed response about their bird....unless someone were not truly concerned with quality and just merely came here carrying a huge chip on the shoulder.

I don't know a ding diddly dang about showing chickens but when I saw that pic I laughed out loud. Sorry...but I did. I'm not elite, nor do I own any show chickens or aspire to own any, but even I can see the obvious faults in the bird. I'm sure those with more knowledge and a better eye than I could have laughed about that bird, as I had done, right here in this thread, but they didn't. They were kind, they sought to teach, and they took time out of their lives to do that for a complete stranger. It's a sign of maturity if one can receive such information and not take it personally, just because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. A simple "no" would have been the more rude answer, as it doesn't take as much time or thought and doesn't even tell a person "why", but just seeks to get past the moment as quickly as possible.

That brings me to another point to be made here~when someone comes seeking free advice, it is never free...it takes time to think, compose a response, and share that response. Those not liking the answers to free advice and feel the need to complain about it are truly those most rude in that situation...these people are not paid to answer your questions, nor are they likely to want to continue to help others when their time is so unappreciated. Actually, that's one of the reasons I no longer post to BYC...the ungrateful children who believe my time is their play thing and I should spend it all so they won't have to do any real research or work with their poultry. Those with the audacity to ask for advice and then complain about the advice they clearly asked for....do they sound at all familiar?

Good work on this thread, y'all, keep it up...keep on kickin' that can down the road!
thumbsup.gif
I read this place like there's going to be a test later.

I never complained about the advice. The photo I posted first was of my chicken running. I posted it again. I can't read properly as I am disabled and have to get help to read. His response was rude and was not welcomed. keep in mind ....No one is forced to answer. If you dont answer....tough. I wont be offended at that. I would have been happier if fred didn't answer all. however, compliments on how the page has been looked after....but I wont join in anymore incasd I upset the chicken police

I'm in the process of getting rid of all my hatchery birds to free up space for my good White Rocks. That will give them the 10 sq ft of coop space that they will need. Right now I don't have a run for them so am giving sprouts and alfalfa pellets to help out. I'm excited to see where the next few months will bring me on my rocks.
wee.gif

Spent some time with the 5 month old cockerels this morning. The guy on the right is top contender from this group.

They're still young and have some growing to do, but they're finally coming out of their awkward juvenile stage. It's nice to see some progress after "the long wait."

Last edited:
I don't think Fred was rude at all. The person asking did not clarify what country they are showing in? What type of show? Where did they obtain the bird? There were no details given. The member was told the faults of the bird and it seems they didn't want to hear it.

Fred has given me a ton of encouragement and help, as I see he has done to others here. He's willing to help those that are willing to listen and learn. If all you want to hear is that your bird is pretty, then there are other sections of BYC for you. Backyard chickens is for ALL types of poultry people, not just those that want pet chickens, or backyard chickens. We have a very broad range of members from those new to poultry, to APA judges and experienced breeders. This section is very clearly labeled for breeding to the Standard of Perfection, Exhibition (showing) and genetics.

Last edited:
Spent some time with the 5 month old cockerels this morning. The guy on the right is top contender from this group.

They're still young and have some growing to do, but they're finally coming out of their awkward juvenile stage. It's nice to see some progress after "the long wait."

He's progressing nicely! He has a nice, wide body.

I'd like to support the importance of mentoring and urge anyone interested in serious breeding to find one. It is very, very difficult to proceed on book learning alone. Which is why I'm so grateful that my mentor is super-knowledgeable, kind and supportive in tough times (when a chick needs to be culled, for example), and generous with his or her time and expertise. Thank you, Fred. :)

Fred has seriously taken me under his wing with the Barred Plymouth Rocks. I would not understand what to look for if it wasn't for his help. I really want to thank him for that again.

So the show. We didn't win anything - but I didn't expect to with the molting that was happening. Jagger beat all 4 of his girls I put in there with him. He was not at all in his prime.

None of my birds were going to win and I knew that. Weren't in show condition. I didn't bathe anyone or go all out like I did previous years. I am still struggling after the accident, so I just didn't have the ability to do so. Either way, it was really fun and saw some really nice birds. Unfortunately only one other Plymouth Rock was entered. Except for the bantams.. and one white pullet won and I can't figure out why..

She has a cushion. She looks in very good condition, but she reminds me of a Wyandotte

Champion SCCL
Reserve Champion Land Fowl
Reserve Grand Champion APA
White Plymouth Rock

Am I just reading into this too much? I didn't take this photo, but when I saw her in person I thought she had a cushion as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom