The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fred (and Wyn you too since you already have experience in this ....and any of you other breeders who have shown)

As you and I get these birds ready for Knoxville, and I'm guessing there should be a good showing in quality rocks, what exactly are your plans for preparation?

How best to cage train? Prep for handling? I frankly am dreading bathing a bird...particularly in this weather

Are you carrying any "stuff" with you to "dress 'em up with"?

All so totally new, but looking forward to it. Hoping those with some experience in this might jump in and give us some sage advise

Not far off....should be fun

While I'm sure their are many other blogs and sites with great information, frankly, the one that Laura wrote for the APA is as good as any. It's also on her blog, Pathfinders Farm. I'll have to see if I can find a link and edit this post.

It's pretty involved and writing out the whole thing here would be time consuming.

http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Showing.html

I certainly won't cut 'n paste liberally from Laura's writings, as they are copyrighted, I'm sure. But follow the links. Great reading.

http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Beaktrim.html

Prepping

How to Wash a Chicken for a Show

Last edited:
Scott, how many are you showing? You'll surely knock 'em dead with the quality you have on your farm! VERY excited for you! Keep me posted!

Still working on my travel box adaptation this morning. Gotta get that done so I can get my White pullets out of the barn.

There are lots of folks who can give tips and tricks. Don't expect folks to re-invent the wheel and re-write the entire body of work on the subject. There are also some interesting blogs and youtube posts from folks I trust in this business who took the time to write things out and make these videos. Like Miss Vickie, aka thedragonlady.

Again, I'm not gonna win any awards based on conditioning alone. I'm gonna file down the beaks, clean the legs and feet, give them good three step washing, especially the White Rocks, Oy Vey!!!! I've read hundreds of pages on cleaning white and everyone agrees that keeping them clean in the first place is the best policy.

Well, too late for that. These are just ol' farm birds after all. I'll do the best I can and that's it.

Back to work. Check in with you all later.

Last edited:
Anybody have an idea what kind of treats she was giving them? Or have ideas on what works best for training treats?

I'll never admit that my chickens adore mini marshmallows above all else.

I'm not actually recommending them as a training treat. It's got to be horrible for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom