The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem that I'm having is locating and receiving a response from the better breeders. I've been communicating with XW Poultry, I'm concerned about the welfare of the birds being shipped from NE to MD.

Thanks

As Yard Full 'o Rocks said above, the reality is that these aren't businesses. Raising, breeding and exhibiting top birds is a hobby. There's no splashy web entry point for sales, no colorful catalogs to pour over, no local TSC or feed store outlets as there are for mass produced, non standard chicks.

There is a lot of need for phone conversations, face to face handshakes and meet 'n greets at exhibitions and club meetings. This is still the way most of this is done in the culture of this hobby.

Many breeders only have a relatively small number of birds to sell each year. Certainly not thousands and usually, not even hundreds. Many prefer to share stock with those they can help along in the hobby. On the whole, this hobby is shared by some of the most generous and wonderful people, but again, this is a hobby and folks have full time jobs, families, church responsibilities, chores to do, club duties, and so forth. Answering every email that comes their way isn't a high priority and cannot be done. Who would spend a hour or two each night doing this? Few will. These are just private citizens and they regard most of the inquiries as they would spam.

As a Barred Rock breeder myself, one of the issues is simply the popularity of the variety. It is THE most recognized chicken variety ever produced so a lot of folks who have a nostalgic longing for the birds, really would be much better served getting egg layers, off standard, "Barred Rocks" from a bin at their local feed store. They'll be much happier with them and life will be good.

Getting strains of breeding stock capable of producing exhibition quality Barred Rocks is much more challenging. It can be done through patience and learning how and where to meet the hobbyists with this variety. Local eggs might come available in April. 6 week old chicks in May or June and started K's and P's in October. Please keep in touch. It all works out.

BTW, juveniles shipped is pretty easy on them. The time elapse is only 24 hours, door to door, as live birds go by air. A little Gro Gell or apple slices to tide them over and they're just fine upon arrival. No problems.

Last edited:
It is surprising at how much a chick can grow in one week. Below is a picture of some of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks going on 2 weeks & chicks going on 1 week. I'll get a picture of my first hatched Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks posted soon, they are going on 4 weeks old. :)

Hello,

Is anyone on this thread from Central California? I'm looking for a nice pullet for my son to show at the Stanislaus County Fair (late July) this year. He's 17 and has never shown poultry, but he is interested in the Plymouth Rock. I believe color does not matter to him. We would love a rooster but unfortunately we live in town and can't have one. We have a very small flock as of now (5 mos Chocolate Orpington and 5 mos old Blue Wheatan Ameruacana) and the pullet would be a show bird ad well as a pet. So lots of love going on. Unfortunately, we would not be able to breed and make the breed better as all of you have, but we are definitely interested.

Thank you for your time.

P.s. I did go to the PPB show in Modesto a couple of weeks ago but, could not find the people that belonged to the birds. So if you were there I apologize.
Did you write down the Exhibitor Number? I was showing, so I have a list of all Exhibitors. If you have the number, I can get you the name of the person.

The likelihood of finding exhibition quality birds this time of yr is slight, BUT, in your area, if you can find and contact Walt Leonard he would know if there might be any to be had

I agree. If birds exist, Walt's gonna know about them. Fowlman01 is Walt Leonard's screen name on here. You can message him here, or go look him up on FB. He's swamped with communique's all the time, but he's also a Zen Master in getting back with people and helping out folks, as best he can. He's an APA Judge, APA officer, 20 time Master Breeder and exhibitor himself.

I agree. If birds exist, Walt's gonna know about them. Fowlman01 is Walt Leonard's screen name on here. You can message him here, or go look him up on FB. He's swamped with communique's all the time, but he's also a Zen Master in getting back with people and helping out folks, as best he can. He's an APA Judge, APA officer, 20 time Master Breeder and exhibitor himself.
Yes! I know about him. I must not be thinking theses days
barnie.gif
. Thank you for all of your help. I will contact him.

It is surprising at how much a chick can grow in one week. Below is a picture of some of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks going on 2 weeks & chicks going on 1 week. I'll get a picture of my first hatched Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks posted soon, they are going on 4 weeks old.
smile.png

They are such lovely chicks and a lovely breed. I love their markings and your chicks seem very alert and bright eyed.

They are such lovely chicks and a lovely breed.  I love their markings and your chicks seem very alert and bright eyed. 

Beekissed, thank you very much for the nice words. I have been blessed with very healthy chicks & adult birds in these Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks over the last few years. My Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks are a work in progress and I am very happy to be breeding this unique variety of the Plymouth Rocks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom