The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having heck with our White Rock hatching again this year. Last year we thought we were the problem, but now, I don't know.

We put 3 WR hens and 1 cock in a breeding pen for about 2 weeks and started collecting eggs. Set about 50 WR eggs over 3 weeks. About 10 were growing at 18 days. 2 hatched and died within the hour. 0 survivors.
In the exact same incubator, time frame, and even on the same shelf, we set about 50 eggs that were a WR cock over a dozen hatchery hens. 40 were growing at 18 days. 37'ish hatched and survived.

White Rocks: 0% hatch rate
Mutt Rocks: 92.5% hatch rate

What gives?

We have now started more WR eggs in the incubator starting 3 weeks ago.
first batch was 18 eggs. 2 were growing at 18 days. 1 hatched and survived.
2nd batch of 18 eggs. 9 growing at day 18. Supposed to hatch tomorrow.
3rd batch of 12 eggs. 1 growing at day 13. Supposed to hatch on the 11th.

I hope you get some help with your problem! You might need some new blood, but others here would know better than myself. I too have some stats to share. I took a 3 week sample of egg production form 3 P's isolated for breeding. They had a 65% lay rate of what appears to be medium eggs. Not bad. I'm glad it's not any worse, but Jamie Duckworth told me they were bred for meat, so all in all, I think it's OK. How does this compare to other BR lines out there?

Last edited:
We are having heck with our White Rock hatching again this year. Last year we thought we were the problem, but now, I don't know.

We put 3 WR hens and 1 cock in a breeding pen for about 2 weeks and started collecting eggs. Set about 50 WR eggs over 3 weeks. About 10 were growing at 18 days. 2 hatched and died within the hour. 0 survivors.
In the exact same incubator, time frame, and even on the same shelf, we set about 50 eggs that were a WR cock over a dozen hatchery hens. 40 were growing at 18 days. 37'ish hatched and survived.

White Rocks: 0% hatch rate
Mutt Rocks: 92.5% hatch rate

What gives?

first batch was 18 eggs. 2 were growing at 18 days. 1 hatched and survived.
2nd batch of 18 eggs. 9 growing at day 18. Supposed to hatch tomorrow.
3rd batch of 12 eggs. 1 growing at day 13. Supposed to hatch on the 11th.

I had written about the same issue from a hatch this past fall....incubated 20 eggs, primarily WR but with some hatchery stock mixed in to fill the incubator. I only had 2 of the heirloom WR eggs to survive and hatch, the rest of the eggs hatched were from the hatchery cross birds. I had thought I had 4 of the heirloom WRs hatch, but soon discovered that two of them were from my ancient, 6 yr old hatchery WR....and I'm grateful for those two birds because they were~by far~the best of the hatch, along with a barred pullet from crossing over a BA. The heirloom chicks weren't worth feeding...the cockerel was culled and I'm watching the pullet, but am not breeding her.

I'm wondering about fecundity of the heirloom stock, particularly the hens. The males seem to be doing just fine but these hens are just not real fertile.

We are having heck with our White Rock hatching again this year.  Last year we thought we were the problem, but now, I don't know.

We put 3 WR hens and 1 cock in a breeding pen for about 2 weeks and started collecting eggs.  Set about 50 WR eggs over 3 weeks.  About 10 were growing at 18 days.  2 hatched and died within the hour.  0 survivors.
In the exact same incubator, time frame, and even on the same shelf, we set about 50 eggs that were a WR cock over a dozen hatchery hens.  40 were growing at 18 days. 37'ish hatched and survived.

White Rocks:  0% hatch rate
Mutt Rocks:   92.5% hatch rate

What gives?

first batch was 18 eggs.  2 were growing at 18 days. 1 hatched and survived.
2nd batch of 18 eggs.  9 growing at day 18.  Supposed to hatch tomorrow.
3rd batch of 12 eggs.  1 growing at day 13.  Supposed to hatch on the 11th.

You need a shot of some new blood for vigor. I had the same problem a couple years ago brought in some fresh blood and hatch rates are thru the roof.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. Next time you do some butchering, would you send me a pint or two? ;)

We haven't had a successful breeding season since we bought them so I'm not sure how they lost their vigor.

How would you introduce the new blood? New K's over my hens and my C's over new P's? Then figure out a rotation breeding plan?

You need a shot of some new blood for vigor. I had the same problem a couple years ago brought in some fresh blood and hatch rates are thru the roof.

Hey, there, Mr. Weaver!!!
frow.gif
Here's a pic of your boy, going strong and doing his job very well. I'm still as grateful as can be for the having of him.

I was going to say the same thing. I had problems with my Good Shepard Barred Rocks with hatching. Started outcrosses and problem solved!

I inadvertently introduced new blood into the line last year and will continue with those offspring this year and do the same. Currently waiting to see if hatch rates will improve. Laying has certainly improved like crazy!

Hey, there, Mr. Weaver!!! :frow Here's a pic of your boy, going strong and doing his job very well. I'm still as grateful as can be for the having of him.
I can tell he's blosl with that right feathering. Is at he weighs ten lbs although he wouldn't look it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom