THE POST OFFICE

msrma7670

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
I Am at home in Georgia
I have read now several post from you all out in chicken land concerning the PO.
I was more or less wondering on an average how many times have you had a package get scrambled?
Plus is there anything I can do so it is less likly to happen when I shipp eggs?

Very careful packing and a bit of luck! Sometimes even if eggs arrive intact and seemingly OK, you still get a poor hatch rate. There are so many variables (heat, jostling, your mail-guy/lady drop kicking the box) that shipped eggs are a risk. I wrap my eggs individually in bubble wrap, put them in a styrofoam egg carton cut in half (fits better in box), put another piece of bubble wrap over the top, close the lid and tape it up. I then line the whole box with air pillows and nestle the eggs in the middle with another pillow between cartons so they don't bump then stuff more pillows/peanuts in so nothing can move. It's a pain....lol. I have had fairly good luck with this method.

Good luck!

Leah

I am honestly not sure how many I have had scrambled. Some will come perfect, some will come and appear perfect, but then be addled or been x-rayed so they're clear. It just depends.

I just got 10 duck eggs and half grew...the rest appear addled.

BUT considering how careful we are when we handle our eggs, it amazes me how many make it in the mail being moved and handled and shipped by so many hands!

I'm not sure but someone told me that sometimes the po xrays packages and that can damage the eggs internally. Dont know if there is any truth to that claim.

Sure they do. They randomly check to make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be. They generally will respect packages that say not to x-ray...which cracks me up because what if it's something that shouldn't be in there and they wrote it for that reason?
lau.gif

Of the dozens upon dozens of eggs I've had shipped only 2 have been broken. Now hatching is another story. I've had really good ones and really really bad ones. I once got 3 dozen eggs shipped from Texas and not a single one hatched. They were probably x-rayed. Personally if I get 30% on shipped eggs I consider it a success.

I have had pretty good luck shipping eggs. After using A LOT of bubble wrap, I write all over the box " Eggs for hatching- Do not x-ray or drop" . So far, so good:fl I really think it is just a flip of a coin if your's gets scrambled or not... We all just try to understand that the hatch rate will be possibly lower because of poor handling from the PO...
rant.gif

Jane

I heard from other sellers, and experience, that if you write Hatching Eggs- Do NOT x-ray, that almost always assures the package will get x-rayed. I never write hatching eggs or do not x-ray. I just write FRAGILE, all over the box.

I also wrap my eggs in a double layer of foil, which I heard helps prevent damage if the eggs get x-rayed.

Back
Top Bottom