The praying mantis

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
Does any one else love this interesting insect? As a kid I'd catch them and gently tie a thread around them and then tie the thread to the bedpost. In the morning I'd wake to a praying mantis on guard for any bugs that might come by. A good watch mantis always deserved a treat so I'd catch them an occasional cricket and offer it to them.

Even though I am much older now I still keep an eye out for them. I'll stop the mower to pick one up to put in a nearby bush out of harms way. And I have one in our atrium now. We'll see her up on the windows sometimes when she decides to get out of the foliage.

One of the simple things in life that I enjoy.

Yes i also would catch them as a boy. Still will watch for them, never harm them.

Few thing i found out odd , when i was younger. Look real close at their head. How many eyes ?? 5 the two large ones on side of the head, 3 small one on the forehead, in shape of a triangle......Mating the female eats the male after mating with him, the real kiss of death.

We love praying mantis here! We found a bunch of baby ones earlier this summer in my herb garden, slowed my cuttings of parsley for a while til they made their way elsewhere! My husband and I both love showing things like that to our young boys, nature has much wonder to offer!

Quote:
I love finding the baby ones!!
clap.gif
They just look soooo...cute - exact (but so delicate looking considering how large and stately they become) miniatures of the adults!
smile.png

I once caught one and put it in a terrarium. I caught a bumble bee and put it with the mantis. She caught it in mid air and did not waste time devouring it. I found a male and put it with the female. The next day, he was gone. However, soon after there were many babies. The mother did not stand a chance.

Oh I love them. Google images for the exotic looking ones too. They blend in with flowers. Beautiful pink creatures. I want one for a pet.

I have always been intrigued by praying mantises. Many have been moved to safety by me. Some of the tropical varieties are really bizarre. As a kid I hid 6 or 7 egg cases behind the radiator in our bathroom. Why? They all hatched.
hide.gif
Mom was not happy.

Back
Top Bottom