The praying mantis

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bakerjw, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Does any one else love this interesting insect? As a kid I'd catch them and gently tie a thread around them and then tie the thread to the bedpost. In the morning I'd wake to a praying mantis on guard for any bugs that might come by. A good watch mantis always deserved a treat so I'd catch them an occasional cricket and offer it to them.

Even though I am much older now I still keep an eye out for them. I'll stop the mower to pick one up to put in a nearby bush out of harms way. And I have one in our atrium now. We'll see her up on the windows sometimes when she decides to get out of the foliage.

One of the simple things in life that I enjoy.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes i also would catch them as a boy. Still will watch for them, never harm them.

Few thing i found out odd , when i was younger. Look real close at their head. How many eyes ?? 5 the two large ones on side of the head, 3 small one on the forehead, in shape of a triangle......Mating the female eats the male after mating with him, the real kiss of death.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    We love praying mantis here! We found a bunch of baby ones earlier this summer in my herb garden, slowed my cuttings of parsley for a while til they made their way elsewhere! My husband and I both love showing things like that to our young boys, nature has much wonder to offer!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I love finding the baby ones!! [​IMG] They just look soooo...cute - exact (but so delicate looking considering how large and stately they become) miniatures of the adults! [​IMG]

5. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    I once caught one and put it in a terrarium. I caught a bumble bee and put it with the mantis. She caught it in mid air and did not waste time devouring it. I found a male and put it with the female. The next day, he was gone. However, soon after there were many babies. The mother did not stand a chance.

6. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Oh I love them. Google images for the exotic looking ones too. They blend in with flowers. Beautiful pink creatures. I want one for a pet.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have always been intrigued by praying mantises. Many have been moved to safety by me. Some of the tropical varieties are really bizarre. As a kid I hid 6 or 7 egg cases behind the radiator in our bathroom. Why? They all hatched. [​IMG] Mom was not happy.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I love them as well. Fun to watch them stalk a bug. Also like those walking sticks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by