The previously homeless chicken.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DeepFriedBacon, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hello everyone. I found myself here @ BYC a week ago or so. Now, I have been toying with the idea of getting some chickens for a while, oonly thing stopping was convincing the boss that she should let me...
    Well, I was working on fixing my neighbors shed, opened up my work trailer doors and left them open for a bit. I return an hour or so later to fetch a tool, and as soon as I touch the door this chicken freaks out flappin and clucking. Scared the livin daylights outta me. No one near me has chickens. Put up a found chicken sign no one claimed it. it seemed to not have a home as it wandered back and forth between the neighbors house and mine for 2-3 days.

I came here, read up, and now I have a small tractor and 2 other laying hens I bought from a farm.

**** things are kind of addicting.

I bought 2 Americana's, and I haven't nailed down exactly what kind the homeless(formerly:p) one is, feather outside feet, pea comb, gray blue color. I'll get a pic up eventually. Lookin forward to the sharing of knowledge!

2. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! That is an awesome story.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!! :) Glad you joined.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DeepFriedBacon, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Love the username! [​IMG]! Hope your flock continues to grow! Good luck to you!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Your story made me smile.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I guess that was a sign that you were meant to keep chickens! I'm just curious as to how you convinced the boss that this chicken really came out of nowhere [​IMG] LOL Enjoy!

7. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    She didn't believe me @ first...lol she swore up and down I bought it, but the neighbor bailed me out as he saw actually saw it first the day before.

I was scared for the chicken, we have a LOT of owls, coyotes, and actually this past spring, red tailed hawks nested right on my property! Which is awesome, if you're not a chicken.
    So being the chicken-who will be referred to as Col. Sanders from now on-didn't seem to leave the area, I tossed it in the garage. After cruising through here a bit, bought some chicken wire and started on my pile of 2x4's.

The "tractor" (love it's called that) style is what seemed to suit me most, I do plan to free range, but with all the predators figured this would be better, as I can move it all over. The coop part is 42" wide, 36" deep, and 36" tall. The run is 7' x 6-1/2'. By all calculations, should be a pretty roomy home for 3 chickens I hope? I still have to build the next box section and attach to the coop, and I'm also weary of the chicken wire. I should of went with hardware cloth...although I 'm hoping to re-purpose a few sections of chain-link fence, and attach that on the outside, right over the chicken wire. Still concerned about racoons sticking their little paws through.

Also, I did buy a bag of layer pellets, grit, and I had a bag of corn, that I use to feed the deer. I see people use cracked corn, but this is whole corn...they still seem to gobble it right up, but I don't want to give them more if it's not the right kind.
    Thanks to all for the replies and information!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined. Loved your story :)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Lucky thing you had the neighbour as witness! What a coincidence... you want a chicken and there's the chicken LOL.

My chickens like whole corn, but they told me they prefer cracked corn... Fussy! Hardware cloth is great for raccoons and from what I heard that's about the only thing that keeps them out. I think it's worth the cost.

10. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    What a great story!! Good luck with them and post pics if you can; I'd like to see the girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by