The price of a hen........?

I just bought a new flock of 10 here in Maine off craigslist just starting to lay for $10 per bird and I probably could have got them for less but figured $10 was a price I was willing to pay.

I have sold young laying hens with their backs bare from roos for $30 apiece, because they laid blue blue eggs. I sell my CBM cull pullets for $50. I say put it out there and just ask the price you want. Don't worry what everyone else is asking, but make sure your pics are pretty and the birds look their best. Someone is VERY LIKELY to want both birds together. Never decide in advance what someone else will want, or how they will want it. Just set your price and wait for the person who matches up with what you are selling. That is the only person you are advertising for. Never mind the fifty that don't want what you have to sell at your price. They don't matter and you will never meet them anyhow.

It totally amazes me the difference in prizes from east coast vs. west coast.... country vs. 'burbs.
th.gif

That is exactly correct. It has nothing to do with what you ask for them it has to do with what someone will pay. Around here if I advertise nice layers for 20 dollars I get few if any responses. If I advertise them for 15 I sell them same day, seems the market is about 15.

I did sell some Jersey Giants from Maria Hall this spring POL for 35.00 each but the buyer knew what they were and we both felt it a fair deal.

You decide throw it out and see where it lands.

In my little corner of the world you are lucky if you get $8 a bird. And it all depends on how bad you want to sell them.....I ended up being overrun by chickens and my unemployed husband was sqwaking about our feed bill, so I just sold 7 hens for $35 for all of them.

Quote:
LOL I saw that posting earlier and thought it was retarded, I'm looking for laying hens in Tucson... no way I'm paying that. I see them for $8 each sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom