the price of eggs

I think it would be overwhelming to see Monsanto's budget to promote GMO….and the highest chunk goes to our politicians.

I think the scary thing is GMO corn cross-pollinating the organic farmers is quite a dilemma. Soon all will be GMO.

Depends where you live and what you feed them. I change $3.50, organic farm eggs are as much as $5 here. A friend did the math once for her flock, $20 a bag of organic feed, a penned flock and it came to $4.50 a dozen... Mine free range, 9 months of the year they hardly go through feed so I charge less. Hope this helps.

I just put on the company bulletin board yesterday a dozen for $3.50 and I already have more orders than eggs. That at least has me selling for the next few days as they are available with more. Mine are not organic and non-free ranging and pay about $13.11 per 50 pound bag of feed so they will help me pay for that with maybe a little left over as I go through two bags in about a week and a half. You might be able to get some more, but that is what I felt comfortable charging and it seems a good start.

I would suggest go to your closest grocery store and Walmart Super Center and see what they are charging for eggs. I always put my price a little higher than the closest type of eggs they carry. For me it is Cage Free brown eggs. My birds are free range and do not have a vegetarian diet. People buy those eggs at those prices so they should buy my eggs. Store egg prices have jumped a lot in the past year or so, especially on white eggs.

Many people believe local eggs should be cheaper. One of the problems is some many folks sell eggs from Facebook or Craig's list for $1.50 or $2.00 or less. They usually aren't following state requirements and say they are just covering the cost of feed. Well they aren't covering their feed cost organic or not.

Wow if demand is higher than supply you could raise your price!
My girls have only been laying for over a month so they're not all consistent yet. I have been pretty much getting a few more eggs every day now (26 yesterday) from 48 birds. So supply will be going up. We'll have to see about the demand yet, because yesterday was the first day I offered them. Not as many people will order everyday. We'll see if any future adjustments are warranted or necessary.

I would pay $3-$4 per dozen and would only buy if your chickens were free range or kept in a tractor so they got ground contact and fresh greens. I'd prefer organic but since I raise chickens I know the cost can prohibit that.

I am in upstate SC and I charge 3 if you bring my carton back and 4 if you don't. My egg buyers say that my eggs taste superior to anything that the store has to offer. I actually have more buyers than I can keep in eggs......hmmm maybe I need more chickens! Enjoy your flock

Wow if demand is higher than supply you could raise your price!
I agree Even if not Organic, they will be fresher than anyone can buy at grocery! Inch the price up. Make sure you include price of cartons. Or better, sell them the cartons separate , like returnable bottles?

Back
Top Bottom