The problem with corn?

Rarefiedfare

In the Brooder
May 24, 2019
Let me be like every second new poster and apologize in advance if this has been answered and I missed it.

I have ducks and geese and after doing a lot of research (mostly on this site) looking for a soy-free feed for a reasonable price, I have come to the conclusion that no such thing exists.

As a result, I have been talking with ingredient manufactures and farm brokers about making a feed myself, but I keep finding posts up here from people looking for both soy and corn free feed.

I know that some people are allergic to soy and there is a growing body of research suggesting that soy intake throws off human hormone balance, but I haven’t found anything suggesting that corn (as an animal feed) is bad for either the birds or people eating the eggs / meat from corn fed birds.

i understand that corn is a carb source and needs to be fed in a proper proportion, but is there something else about it that I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Corn is a filler. It is empty calories. It is pure carbs, and the only reason to feed it would be to increase body warming calories during severe winters and to put weight on an animal very quickly. It's like considering Snickers bars as a legitimate food source for a human child.

I have ducks and geese and after doing a lot of research (mostly on this site) looking for a soy-free feed for a reasonable price, I have come to the conclusion that no such thing exists.
I've used this soy-free feed from Tractor Supply Co. It's a layers feed so wait till they are laying. GC 20190317_114902.jpg

On a whim, yesterday I bought a 50 lb bag of Soy Free/NGMO Layer (16%) and a 50 lb bag of Soy Free/NGMO Mixed Flock (19%) for my hens. I got it at a local feed supply store that makes it. It wasn't cheap though. Based on how my 32 hens seemed to like it this morning, I may have to get a second job. :)

On a whim, yesterday I bought a 50 lb bag of Soy Free/NGMO Layer (16%) and a 50 lb bag of Soy Free/NGMO Mixed Flock (19%) for my hens. I got it at a local feed supply store that makes it. It wasn't cheap though. Based on how my 32 hens seemed to like it this morning, I may have to get a second job. :)
What brand is it? My chickens don’t seem to like their feed even though I buy them organic non-GMO feed. It takes them six weeks to get through a 50 pound bag. I have 8 grown adults, maybe that’s normal. I wouldn’t mind trying something new for them.

Hurdle Mills Farm Supply between Hillsborough and Roxboro, NC. It appears you are in California and I doubt they ship that far. I usually buy Kalmbach feed at this store and my hens like it as well and it is more reasonably priced. I just got a wild hair yesterday and bought the Non Soy/NGMO feed.

Hurdle Mills Farm Supply between Hillsborough and Roxboro, NC. It appears you are in California and I doubt they ship that far. I usually buy Kalmbach feed at this store and my hens like it as well and it is more reasonably priced. I just got a wild hair yesterday and bought the Non Soy/NGMO feed.
Thanks for the info.

Corn is a filler. It is empty calories. It is pure carbs, and the only reason to feed it would be to increase body warming calories during severe winters and to put weight on an animal very quickly. It's like considering Snickers bars as a legitimate food source for a human child.

That’s good information, I appreciate that. I know that corn is used for winter energy, but I’m not sure how necessary that would be for waterfowl anyway.

Right now I’m looking into something pea-based.

Back
Top Bottom