The Quacki Campbell Thread

Pics
I do not use mineral oil personally, however my duck eggs often end up as dirty as yours, especially when it rains. When eggs are this dirty I wash them in hot water. The usda recommends water 20 degrees F hotter than the egg (if you use cold water then the bacteria can get sucked into the egg through the shell). After I wash them with hot water and they are dry I pop them in the fridge. They will keep for weeks this way. Keep them rotated and eat the oldest first. This time of year I have so many eggs I think I have some close to a month old. I haven’t found a bad one yet, though if I do come across one that has a crack in it, I play it safe and choose not to eat it if it’s an old egg.

I have changed my duck setup this summer and they no longer have swimming water in their pen, which is where they lay their eggs. Eggs are cleaner overall. The pool water doesn’t get as mucky as fast since they don’t have 24/7 access and the run stays cleaner and dryer overall.
I live offgrid so the fridge isnt an option. Thats why i use mineral oil.

First off all your guys ducks are absolutely adorable. I have just recently acquired a kakhi duckling from a TSC after being gifted a SN Pekin duckling by my daughter who works for TSC. The kakhi is Cocoa (I know real original) and the pekin is Moon (my 5 yr old named her that by the white in her eyes, she is blind)!
IMG_20190820_170922614.jpg
IMG_20190819_181029377.jpg
IMG_20190819_173229255.jpg

I'm slowly getting more and more used to having ducklings, but I still say they are sooo messy! :th

I will NEVER brood ducklings in my house again. I brooded my 2 (only 2) KCs in a spare bedroom and my whole house stank. The last ones were brooded out in the coop and it was WAY better.

I will NEVER brood ducklings in my house again. I brooded my 2 (only 2) KCs in a spare bedroom and my whole house stank. The last ones were brooded out in the coop and it was WAY better.
Unfortunately with the one being disabled and my big coop is not 100% built yet I have no choice, ugh. Lots of bedding changes!

I have had a dozen chicks in my brooder in my laundry room, the 3 ducklings I have now are way messier/smellier and so loud! They better be good layers. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom