The ramp

shodack

Songster
Mar 19, 2015
central NY
Are there recommendations for how wide and steep the ramp into the coop should be? Right now my husband has a single piece of 2x4, which I feel is too narrow.

Are there recommendations for how wide and steep the ramp into the coop should be? Right now my husband has a single piece of 2x4, which I feel is too narrow. I would at least double the width of the ramp personally. Then measure the drop from the floor of the coop to the ground make your ramp double the drop should work fine in a perfect world.
My ramp is about 10" wide made from 2 boards.

5/12 roof pitch - still walkable 22.62° by human standards

Pitch is the relation to running feet in a ramp (in this case) to drop.
For every 5 inches of drop there is one foot of ramp added to the length.

I would not want to go much more above 8/12 - roof pitch degrees 33.69° for chickens and supply cross slats for extra traction.

Last edited:
not sure on the angle part, but my ramp is 42" long * 12" wide making a 24" drop

11245519_1652752314953452_8341859427838328641_o.jpg

not sure on the angle part, but my ramp is 42" long * 12" wide making a 24" drop. Your ramp is close to 8/12 pitch which is the maximum I would go for building a ramp Your angle is slightly less than 33.69° (it would be 8/12 pitch if your ramp was shortened to 36".) A six inch block would roughly bring your ramp to a 6/12 pitch would be almost ideal in my estimation.

Last edited:
Your ramp is close to 8/12 pitch which is the maximum I would go for building a ramp Your angle is slightly less than 33.69° (it would be 8/12 pitch if your ramp was shortened to 36".)

it was all that the space would allow for. they do walk down but fly about 3/4 up or more half the time. i tacked down the green slats for traction and they seem happy with it, but i wouldn't have gone any steeper than that

Are there recommendations for how wide and steep the ramp into the coop should be? Right now my husband has a single piece of 2x4, which I feel is too narrow.

A good rule of thumb in a perfect world:
Make your ramp twice as long as the drop which would give you a 6/12 pitch and an angle of 22.5º.
"A 4x4 block attached to the end of your ramp to make a step up will do a lot to reduce the slope also."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom