The Rats Are Back

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mother of Chooks, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Mother of Chooks

Mother of Chooks Chirping

Aug 14, 2017
    Queensland
    Welp, with the beginning of spring the rats are trying to move back into my chicken coop once again as they do every year. Normally in the past, we've had to resort to your traditional rat-traps to get rid of the adults and then catching the baby ones and disposing of them ourselves. We plan on completely sealing off the sides of the coop, but unfortunately, we don't have the time to do it at the moment so I'm looking for any other suggestions for keeping them away?

Currently, they're not permanent 'residents' just yet, so I'd really appreciate any ideas or experience people may have when it comes to deterring them. We're removing the feed every night so they don't have any food and I've been chasing them off when I go out to lock the chickens away, but because they're able to hide down the side of the run my dog can't catch them because she's far too large to fit in there.

Thank you all in advance <3

DiYMama540 likes this.
  2. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    @Howard E always has good information on rats!

@cmom has had to battle rats too.

Hope you get some good info.

DiYMama540 likes this.
  3. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Following we haven’t had any issues with rats but would like to know suggestion other than a .22 and time.

DiYMama540 likes this.
  4. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Terrier breeds of dogs are excellent small animal hunters! You could add one to your family! :) Also cats do a great job at dispatching anything smaller than them.

I have both at my house, (terrier and cat), and rats, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. have never been a problem.

Shelters are usually loaded with cats, and you may even get lucky enough to find a terrier in need of a forever home!

CatWhisperer and sorce like this.
  5. sorce

sorce Chirping

Aug 26, 2019
    Can you make that wider?

Any safe place for travel is encouraging.

Any excuse to buy a puppy is always a good one.

Sorce

DiYMama540 likes this.
  6. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    :goodpost: agreed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: