THE RATS ARE EATING MY CHICKEN FOOD!

Chookenperson4

In the Brooder
May 18, 2019
Hi.
About half a year ago, I purchased a "rat-proof" treadle chicken feeder. unfortunately, the rats have learnt to open the feeder by just pushing the lid up with their noses. Because of this convenient source of food, the rats are constantly raiding our coop. I have been researching pest-proof chicken feeders online and have found one called the "PestOff" chicken feeder. (pictured below) I would like to know if anybody knows if this one works to keep rats away and if you have any ideas about other feeders that might solve this. Thankyou!
Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 12.43.07 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 12.43.07 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 12.43.07 pm.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 14
Hi there. :frow

How many chickens are ya feeding?

Glad to know rats have figured out the treadle feeder. Thanks for sharing! Maybe you can rig a latch to hold the treadle closed at night? For my dog style creep feeder I drilled a hole and stuck a screw behind the door to keep it locked at night and just remove it in the morning.

My other feeders I collect every night. They still come after shrapnel left behind from the day. I trap, trap, trap... then a (stray) mama cat gave birth inside my barn, and I've seen zero rodent activity since. Which I'm sure is part of the reason she has moved on the very day I contacted someone to see about trapping and spaying. I now have two adopted kittens who are in training to be barn cats... which I will still be feeding and treating with the same care I give all my animals.

Did you know that rats can actually be consider chicken predators as well. Sometimes when a food source is removed they step up their game. :barnie

Sorry I don't have better suggestions.... maybe look for some threads or post made by @Howard E as they often very informative. :fl

I had rats in my coop a couple of years ago, and they also ate eggs, and killed three nice bantams before fixing the coop and poison bait eliminated them.
You need to act right away, or have more than chicken feed missing.
Mary

Welcome too! No feeder will eliminate a rat colony that's moved in. I used the same bait boxes, with the bait blocks that fit in there and can't be pulled out. After a week or two, use a different bait block, and persist until no bait disappears.
I also kept my barn cat locked up when this was going on. Never saw a dead rat, they died in their tunnels. I did find a couple of dead mice, and put them in the garbage.
Miserable, but necessary!
Mary

I have that feeder and it's worked pretty good in the year I've had it. I still have some mice/rats getting into the coop occasionally, as I think now they are digging in well beyond the skirt, but some mornings I can see a few rat poops around and the feeder guards are pulled down. Rodents also chewed on the plastic behind the guards so they're reaching it somehow, but I don't think they're getting a ton of food if any, and it hasn't messed up the feeder in any way. I'm feeding 4 EEs and 3 bantams, and fill it up about every 5 days.

My large chickens do tend to rake some out as they eat just because it's so short/wide of an opening that they kind of have to, but they usually clean it up just fine. I have a 1 pound tiny OEGB that can't reach it very well, so she's learned to treat it more like a piniata and will jump/whack it from the side to knock food onto the ground and eat it. All in all, I'm happy with it and think it helps keep food from being out in the open and/or being contaminated by rodents.

Also :welcome :frow The bait that came with my bait boxes didn't seem to work as well as the bait I currently use, but I keep the bait boxes loaded until I haven't noticed any activity. I always check them and if I need to put bait in I do. Every once in awhile I will notice some of the bait has been eaten but not on a regular basis. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom