The RE-Build of Les Farms

Here are some of the Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks enjoying the warmth of the ecoglow :) Cute little buggers.

PS: Congrats on avoiding temptation! :)
How do you like your ecoglow? I assume much safer than a heat lamp. I'm thinking of getting the same one. Did you get the larger 50 chick one or the 20 chick one?

Last edited:
How do you like your ecoglow? I assume much safer than a heat lamp. I'm thinking of getting the same one. Did you get the larger 50 chick one or the 20 chick one?
I LOVE IT. SO worth the money. Saved enough to pay for it in electricity already :)

I bought 4 of the 20 chick eco glows. Wishing I had of got at least 2 more.

We're going to have to secure a heat lamp for the meat kings. At least they only need heat for a very short time this time of year.

We are going to rig it up very safely and it will have it's own outlet.

With the weather we have been getting, I can only see it being needed the first few days and at night. It is TOO HOT here for my liking.

Where's Celtic.. She would call me a wimp I'm sure.

I'm curious...
What do you do with all your roosters that you keep for breeding? We had too many fights when I let everyone free range. It was all fine and good until the boys started being boys and then they started ganging up on the hens and it was total pandemonium. We still have hens with no feathers on their backs. i'm starting out with a new crew as you are but I still have a couple of older roos that I am keeping.
Started a thread on how people manage multiple roosters as I really need to get a handle on keeping them healthy and happy. Feed back please

We will be there. Had a lot of fun last year.
We'll cross our fingers for a good hatch and \I'll keep you posted
P
thumbsup.gif

I'm curious...
What do you do with all your roosters that you keep for breeding? We had too many fights when I let everyone free range. It was all fine and good until the boys started being boys and then they started ganging up on the hens and it was total pandemonium. We still have hens with no feathers on their backs. i'm starting out with a new crew as you are but I still have a couple of older roos that I am keeping.
Started a thread on how people manage multiple roosters as I really need to get a handle on keeping them healthy and happy. Feed back please
Bachelor coop maybe?

I never really separated for breeding last year other than the silkies. I only had an issue between two brothers fighting seriously. The rest fought for pecking order, but settled down quickly. I had roughly 15 full time breeding roosters.

This year it was too easy to introduce my two new barred rock males to the rest of the flock. Very minimal fighting.. Odd.. Seems too good to be true.

As for the hens, yeah.. going to be too much attention unless you have a good hen to rooster ratio. Right now we have 5 boys free ranging with 21 girls. That is still too low for my liking but very minimal feather damage. My new BR boys are gentle.

Lucky. My boys fought from day one although they all were raised together. This year I'll try a bachelor pen for the new boys and this will keep the number of pens down.
My biggest problem is my tiny game rooster who rules the roost or thinks he does. He has free ranged from day one and does not take guff from anyone and I'm afraid one of the big guys will actually kill him. Guess I'm doomed to multiple coops. I have 2 now as well as a pen for the youngsters and I'm building a 3rd.

We're building a chicken empire!

Lucky. My boys fought from day one although they all were raised together. This year I'll try a bachelor pen for the new boys and this will keep the number of pens down.
My biggest problem is my tiny game rooster who rules the roost or thinks he does. He has free ranged from day one and does not take guff from anyone and I'm afraid one of the big guys will actually kill him. Guess I'm doomed to multiple coops. I have 2 now as well as a pen for the youngsters and I'm building a 3rd.

We're building a chicken empire!
Where I got my barred plymouth rocks from they had them and Old English Game Bantams running together. He only had the two, and the littles were too fast for the big ones, and the littles couldn't hurt the bigs.

Those OEGB are cocky.

All he needs is a little whooping and he will quickly learn he has to run away.. and he will be able to outrun the big guys no problem (and out fly).

That's how it worked with my Ameraucana bantams. :)

Back
Top Bottom