1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The real backyard chciken story....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jkm, Jul 16, 2007.

1. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    I live in an area with urban growth boundairy, this means small lots.
    What I have learned from this....

1 The coop and run will take over your yard. no matter how hard you try to control it.
    2 chickens can fly 32 inches straight up to get out , even with a wing clipped.
    3 chicks eat a lot of bugs..... if you don't have alot of cool things for them to eat like clover, impatients, and dayliilies to root around under they will be unhappy, .. fly the fence to the neighbors yard with more cool food and toys.
    4 shavings works better than straw for smell control.
    5 you will get mice and flies, to prevent mice, make sure the coop is up, to prevent flies, impossible. ( DE didn't work, only fly traps worked.)

6 chicks love niger seed, and will fly for it, jump for it and get in their coop at bedtime for it.
    7 they can be herded back to their coop, it you are patient and train it.

8 they are cute,,,, esp when they deciced to walk in the kitchen and help them selves.

oh,

9 chicken sexers make alot of mistakes.

I have another roo, I was the one that had all roos on the first draw, second batch we did wing sexing and swapping. now my biggest is starting to crow...
    will miss him,,, he is my mouse partol and at 7 weeks is taking good care of the hens, even the one that is always a day late and a dollar short....

[​IMG]

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Who knew there was so much to learn from chickens??!! [​IMG]

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    jkm,
    Great post. So true !!!

4. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    As another urban dweller with a small lot I thank you in advance for the warnings!

:-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by