The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I know right? Very interesting stuff! I really enjoy the idea of Saturnalia - besides being the origin of decorating trees with candles, etc. it also had slaves and masters swap places for a while.

There is strong evidence that Jesus was actually born in the middle of Summer as well. Interesting stuff for sure.

Quote:
I am! Hilariously she was the FIRST to start laying eggs just a few short weeks ago.
smile.png
AND even thought she's supposed to be an olive egger, she lays a sky blue egg. She is a very silly chicken.

Quote:
Lambing season ... that is why the shepherds were out with the flocks at night, to protect the ewes and newborn lambs from predators that would be attracted by the smell of blood at birth. For that part of the world, lambing season is very late January to mid/late February(ish).

Last edited:
Quote:
I understand, and totally respect your right to celebrate as you will.
smile.png

All I wanted to do was point out that 'keeping Christ in Christmas' is just as valid as 'keeping Saturn in Saturnalia', you know? And people are getting really heated about it. I needed to put a 'chill out' message out there.

Quote:
The list was not to name all the holidays happening concurrently, but to specifically list other holidays that Christmas incorporated traditions from.

Perhaps it's best to let folks believe how they choose

I believe that is exactly the intent of this thread.
smile.png
Ie. More than one reason for the season, and to let others enjoy this wonderful time of the year.
thumbsup.gif

*knuckle bumps* Ahh, logic from a fellow atheist! So many Christians are so oblivious to even the Christian origin of Christmas (stand around with a bunch of livestock watching a lady give birth...then, PRESENTS!
roll.png
), that they are completely ignorant of all the holidays that Christmas was formed from, taking bits and pieces from many. Most people tend to forget religious plagiarism, however.

This will be the only warning in this thread.

If you must discuss this, do so in a civil, adult manner that doesn't insult those that may disagree with you or that you you do not agree with.

Flaming, name calling or other rules violations will not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom