The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This is very sweet, and so well said!
clap.gif

In Christianity following any set of rule keeping as a means of attaining or preserving your salvation would be considered "Legalism", I tend to view celebrating or not celebrating Christmas for reasons like the date or some other stellar reason as a form of legalism also. I celebrate Christs' birth every day.
smile.png

Quote:
So did I. As a Christian I feel it is my duty not only to know about my own faith (I'm always surprised at how many people believe and yet have never bothered to read the Bible itself), but also about the history of Christianity and the history and beliefs of others religions. There is no real excuse not to know these days since the internet allows anyone to take a crash course in comparative theology in a matter of minutes.

Also, I've seen a lot of anger over the phrase Xmas, which I don't see as sacrilegious at all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

It's all about peace and good will. It's hard to have either if you're angry at someone and often the best way to vanquish anger is with knowledge.
smile.png

Quote:
So did I. As a Christian I feel it is my duty not only to know about my own faith (I'm always surprised at how many people believe and yet have never bothered to read the Bible itself), but also about the history of Christianity and the history and beliefs of others religions. There is no real excuse not to know these days since the internet allows anyone to take a crash course in comparative theology in a matter of minutes.

Also, I've seen a lot of anger over the phrase Xmas, which I don't see as sacrilegious at all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

It's all about peace and good will. It's hard to have either if you're angry at someone and often the best way to vanquish anger is with knowledge.
smile.png

I use Xmas all the time, its just shorthand for me, especially on message boards, etc. Sometimes it seems to me that people should try to find something more important to get upset about than if someone uses the term "xmas" - There are plenty of real problems to worry about, IMO.

I feel that people get too worked up on what others think -or believe.
I would happily take a vacation day for Kwanzaa, Hanukah, Christmas, Diwali, or any other day that another culture deems important.
lol.png

Quote:
R u serious? "Heathens"? And, umm... maybe its the endorsement of one religion by the gov't that they "hate" as opposed to the "little baby and what he represents'. It is after all, supposed to be a country without an official religion.

Quote:
A while back, I tried to convince my boss that since we were a multicultural organization, and supposed to be all sensitive and stuff, that we should have somebody compile a list of all the holidays of all the world's religions, and take them all off.

For some reason, he wasn't impressed. Irreligious, insensitive fascist!

Last edited:
Quote:
A while back, I tried to convince my boos that since we were a multicultural organization, and supposed to be all sensitive and stuff, that we should have somebody compile a list of all the holidays of all the world's religions, and take them all off.

For some reason, he wasn't impressed. Irreligious, insensitive fascist!

lau.gif
It was a nice try, anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom