The Reasons NOT to feed chickens green tomatoe plants or Dried Beans

my parents had chickens for over 30 years, they always fed them left over tomatoes and let them in the garden with the tomato plants. Never had a problem. I also give mine tomatoes and let them in the garden to clear it out,,,,not ever a problem.

Glad I read through the whole thread. I give my pullets worm-infested tomatoes as treats. (And I believe five beaks coming at you just before you get pecked to pieces is sufficiently terrorizing for the worms.)

Last edited:
Ditto to the green tomatoes, an occasional tomato worm, and leaves. Our chickens have been eating these occasionally without any ill effects.

My chickens get in my garden all the time and they LOVE the leaves from the tomato plants. So far I haven't noticed any problems.
hu.gif
I would think that if they were bad for them they wouldn't go for them like they do since they have free choice of everything else in my yard.

I agree with the posts about the proof is in the living....I've watched my sheep mow down 150 tomato plants~supposedly toxic to sheep~without so much as a burp afterwards. My dog is famous for stealing rhubarb plants (whole with the root and all), tomatoes both green and red, potatoes, grapes...you know all those things supposedly toxic to dogs? He can eat them with a grin on his face and tail awaggin'...so could my chickens. Green tomatoes? Food for any innovative chicken that gets through my garden defenses. Apple seeds? Supposedly just loaded with arsenic and fatal if eaten while apples are green. Tell that to my not-so-dead dog, chickens, sheep, etc.

Old wives tales and urban legends, mostly. Animals pretty much know what they can and cannot tolerate and the ones that do not are just victims of natural selection...and all is right with the world.
I know this is old... but wanted to add to your comment. One of my ducks ate three whole tomato plants (7 feet tall, were growing up a string) over a week. Stims, leaves and tomatoes both green and purple (dark prince type, and didn't notice, lots of crops). He didn't get sick or anything.

Back
Top Bottom