The rehab is almost complete! (pic. heavy)

Farmington

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
Northeast Ohio
Well, it's been a long road rehabbing an old structure that doesn't have a straight line left in it! We've gone from a run down piece of junk with a rotten floor, and roof, to a livable piece of not so junky junk
tongue.png
. 80% of the wood was either found, or given to me. The shingles were given to me from a neighbor, and I wound up with 2 different styles, and colors of shingles, but it gives it character. The hardware cloth was found in an old barn, with all kinds of other useful junk by my son. I've never done anything like this before in my life. I'm definitely no carpenter! I want to thank everyone on here who directly, or indirectly helped in this project with advice, and pictures, and the wealth of ideas available on this awesome website!
yippiechickie.gif
. Here's some before, and afters...

The outer shell was pretty strong to begin with, so not much needed to be done, except for some fixing on the lower part of the side I put the pop door on.

Before:
33190_dscn0176.jpg

After:
33190_chick_pics_052.jpg

Before:
33190_dscn0174.jpg

After:
33190_chick_pics_051.jpg

The roof was a disaster! Here's a before shot looking up:
33190_dscn0180.jpg

After:
33190_chick_pics_067.jpg

Inside was a wreck. Here's some before pics:
33190_dscn0182.jpg

33190_dscn0181.jpg

33190_dscn0179.jpg

And, the after shots:
33190_chick_pics_055.jpg

33190_chick_pics_056.jpg

33190_chick_pics_058.jpg

33190_chick_pics_059.jpg

33190_chick_pics_060.jpg

I put a partition wall incorporating 4 nest boxes, with access to them from the transition/storage area when you first walk in. This area is 7' x 4'. The living area is 12' x 7' I put in 14' of roosting space. The walls are 8' high, and the peak of the roof is 12' high.

The floor was REALLY BAD, as I found out when I put my foot through it! I had to replace most of the joists, and added a few pieces in between them for strength. Over top, I laid down some used 1" plywood from a neighbor. Had a lot of fun pulling nails
he.gif
. I covered it all with a sheet of vinyl flooring from Lowe's that was less than $30. I nailed down 2x4's that I ripped in half around the edge of the vinyl to hold it down (no glue!). This way, when I need to replace it, I can pull up the edges, roll up the whole thing and get rid of it in one piece, then lay down a new one.

The pop door is a slider style I cobbled together that lifts with a rope, and I put a slide bolt on the inside for security:
33190_chick_pics_061.jpg

33190_chick_pics_062.jpg

I added a window that I garbage picked for light on the south side as is seen in the above exterior pictures. I still need to do the run, but I have the materials, including a free 50' roll of 2x4 welded wire, but I have my 10 week old bantams in there now. In a couple more weeks, the Ameraucanas, and Buckeyes will go in as well, and we'll be in business with 18 birds all together. For now, my Mille-fleur rooster Ralph is lovin' life, rulin' the roost
33190_chick_pics_065.jpg

Thanks all, once again for all the contributions! Hope you all like it!

Last edited:
Love it! The thrifty New Englander in me really appreciates when you can take something old and in bad shape and turn it into something good and useful.

Love the picture of Ralph, too! We have five d'Uccle chicks that are almost six weeks old now and they're keeping us entertained with their antics.

clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
bow.gif
woot.gif
EXCELLENT! ~ and you call yourself no carpenter? yeesh, I'd hate for you to see the mess my poor chickens were living in!
hide.gif
We are finally on to building a satisfactory home for my chickens, as coon-safe as possible!
yippiechickie.gif

The sooner we get this thing done, the sooner I can get my rooster a harem:gig:lau Poor boy, he's out there, searching for his ladies.
th.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom