the replacement chicks- pics *updated pic*

libbyhan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks again to all that offered advice. We lost a little 4 week old chick earlier this week- he was a cochin bantam with a severe cross beak. My kids and his buddy chick, Dory, were crushed. We rushed out and got another from a BYC member. Ended up taking home two.

Here are the three of them:

55630_thereplacements.jpg

Dory is on the left. I think that what we have are a bantam (from the feed store- straight run and no idea on the breed) that's about 4 weeks, a silkie bantam cochin cross that's about a week old, and a frizzle cochin standard girl that's about 3 weeks, too. Look about right to you?

55630_puffhead.jpg

55630_friz.jpg

I realize that mixing ages like this is not a great idea, but our bantam was a MESS and to be perfecly honest, when I saw all the chicks this lady had, I LOST CONTROL. I had to have that little slikie. MUST HAVE HIM. And, my bantam was very gentle with her special needs buddy. AND, my daughter was with me. And, chicken math. Is that enough excuses? I'm keeping them all at 87 degrees with plenty of room to get away. The silkie cuddles with the big guys. I'm swooning.

Also, our bantam is tiny and I got a little freaked about putting her in with my 6 chicks outside (10-12 weeks) when the time comes. The woman that I got them from suggested that the standard might be a nice body guard for the bantams.

Again, thanks! and I'd love any confirmation on breeds.

edited to spell check.

Last edited:
Dory the original chick looks like a Silver Sebright to me, but that is just my non-expert opinion!

Standard birds can cohabitate fine with bantams, but the bantams will be at the bottom of the pecking order and can possibly get a bit beaten up (lost feathers and comb pecks) during spats. Hopefully being raised together will prevent that, but just sharing my experiences!

Dory appears to be a Silver Sebright. I may steal that name for MINE; I have a Silver and a Golden Sebright in my brooder right now, ready to go outside this weekend at 8 wks of age. So far, they both look like pullets.
fl.gif

I have 2 Silver Sebrights about four weeks older than the ones in my brooder, originally named Alice and Georgia, but they've turned into Alex and George. Awfully cute crowers!

Now... to name the Golden Sebright.....

I love your chicken math and if it had been me, I'm sure I would have departed with more than just TWO when replacing one.

OH! And my bantam breeds all get along fine with the larger number of large fowl in my flock. They move fast enough if they overstep their welcome in the midst of things.

Last edited:
I think that you right about the seabright thing. CUTE! Love them! We have a nice little diverse flock, now.

55630_dory.jpg

Here's Dory....

Back
Top Bottom