The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
18 week old first generation Rhodebar x Hatchery rhode island red hen. Theres a roo with one barring gene. Also note the barring in the pullets. Some have little sign of barring and some have very pronounced barring
It was snowing as i took these pictures.

Why would you outcross to hatchery stock???

18 week old first generation Rhodebar x Hatchery rhode island red hen. Theres a roo with one barring gene. Also note the barring in the pullets. Some have little sign of barring and some have very pronounced barring
It was snowing as i took these pictures.
I just dont see Barring on the first pullets, the last one I see faint barring.

I still am trying to understand the barring. The difference with single and double. Are you looking for more barring, a dilution of the color due to the barring? My picture of course shows my roos. I am taking it that they are single but I really haven't understood enough of the barring to know that either and of course I am taking my Hambars back to RIR so I am starting something that I know frst I will get basically a darker barred roo. I will also take my roosters to some New Hampshire and totally understand my Rooster are going to be in over time but I hope to start slowly with completely new lines in time. I just have missed anything to tell physically what double barring looks like since some talk about it being a visible thing. I can't imagine anyone is telling any other way. Everything I have read just states that you take a barred Rooster to a hen which becomes barred herself. Then she goes back to the father and should produce a double barred Rooster but is it understood or visible? I lost my darker female I first received but my lighter one shows barring herself. Would I assume that any babies off her would be double barred?

Last edited:
I still am trying to understand the barring. The difference with single and double. Are you looking for more barring, a dilution of the color due to the barring? My picture of course shows my roos. I am taking it that they are single but I really haven't understood enough of the barring to know that either and of course I am taking my Hambars back to RIR so I am starting something that I know frst I will get basically a darker barred roo. I will also take my roosters to some New Hampshire and totally understand my Rooster are going to be in over time but I hope to start slowly with completely new lines in time. I just have missed anything to tell physically what double barring looks like since some talk about it being a visible thing. I can't imagine anyone is telling any other way. Everything I have read just states that you take a barred Rooster to a hen which becomes barred herself. Then she goes back to the father and should produce a double barred Rooster but is it understood or visible? I lost my darker female I first received but my lighter one shows barring herself. Would I assume that any babies off her would be double barred?

I posted posted a pic of a single barred male and a double barred Rhodebar male. the difference so far has been the double barred males are much lighter than the single barred males, this is due to the effect barring has on a males color, black or red double barred males will be much lighter than the single barred males

Sure can, I would try to shoot for double or single? or does it matter?
well it depends...

for Show birds or birds that you want to show(nice dark color) the Single barred males are the way to go.

for Autosexing then the double barred males are the way to go.

you can combine both traits in you breeding pen. the single barred males when mated to barred hens will give you double barred males and single barred males.....BUT will also give you 50% barred hens and 50% dark RIR looking females..

Back
Top Bottom