The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
too young to coment on him, the way I see it: young Rhodebar males should have the same type as young RIR, I believe serious Rhodebar breeders should keep good quality RIR just to keep the Rhodebar type in check,

I agree. A Rhodebar should have the RIR type. I know people want awesome egg laying and color but if you work on type first then you can get the rest to fall into place. Breeding using hatchery stock just because they are good egg layers are not going to give you the type that the Rhodebar should be.

This cockerel actually has better type then most I have seen, including my own. The back is longer, straighter, and the tail is lower then most of the pics I have seen of Rhodebar cockerels. I know I will have a lot of work getting mine to type but I have a good line of Reds to get it going.

Penny

I've been warned yet again..

"Please specifically look over "Rule # 15 - Publicly Questioning Moderation".

guys I dont think I'm going to last long around here, I just begg mods to let me help you guys while I can, its very hard to find very dedicated scientist around here, you guys need as much help as you need, any ways if I get banned for good this time you can follow me in my "DIY Spray On Chrome" Thread I opened a while ago, its not related to chicken genetics but its pure science ingenuity at its best http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674441 I love helping people, and I'll continue doing it long after I no longer welcome here

Will be sorry to see you go. The last person that gave real meaningful answers I could use was also banned.

I ordered Rhodebar eggs and only got one to hatch. Of course it was a cockerel. I am a few months off because he is only 5 weeks old, but I have three Heritage RIR hens I could breed him with instead of ordering Rhodebar eggs or chicks from someone else. Of the three hens, one is very large bodied and dark mahogany. The second is a medium mahogany, still beautiful, but is a leaner looking bird. The third has the best body type to me, but is lighter in color --almost a deep blood red instead of mahogany.

Which of the three would be his best mate to work with? Any input would be appreciated. I am looking forward to starting this project.

I ordered Rhodebar eggs and only got one to hatch. Of course it was a cockerel. I am a few months off because he is only 5 weeks old, but I have three Heritage RIR hens I could breed him with instead of ordering Rhodebar eggs or chicks from someone else. Of the three hens, one is very large bodied and dark mahogany. The second is a medium mahogany, still beautiful, but is a leaner looking bird. The third has the best body type to me, but is lighter in color --almost a deep blood red instead of mahogany.

Which of the three would be his best mate to work with? Any input would be appreciated. I am looking forward to starting this project.
I would cross to all of them and tag them to see which one brings the best birds

Thanks so much for this thread.
My first Rhodebar eggs arrive this week - finally!
I have production RIR and have had for years.
Actually, my great grandfather had RIR in IL all the way to 1930... so it's family thing.
I began by looking for better quality heritage RIR stock and have not found what I'm looking for.
That is how I discovered the Rhodebar.
I am fascinated by them and fell in love with them.
I am STILL looking for a nice RIR breeding pair to cross with the Rhodebar... welcome any suggestions on that one.

In the meantime... am hoping I'll get a good hatch out of the 15 eggs I have coming... very excited.
Am hoping my long term plans with the Rhodebars work out... too many if's at this point....
IF I have some decent healthy cockerels and pullets from this hatch...
IF I can successfully find some RIR with good type...
IF my production hens can contribute without creating a nightmare...
IF IF IF

I'm starting from the ground up here and plan to breed only single bar roos... we'll see how it goes.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
I will post pics when I have something to post pics of...
smile.png

Sheri

Back
Top Bottom