The Rhodebar thread!

Not always, there are other factors involved.
Here's a good link which explains sex linked (note: this is not the same as auto sexing)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
the only scenarios I see affecting a possible sex linked cross between a Barred female to a solid colore male will be..

Dominant white male, and.... thats it, you can see the headspot on the males even if the father is Splash(blue splash) Blue, chocolate or any color affecting the expression of melanin, dominant white will turn the chicks down into all yellow chicks, with some speck of black on the body

Well I've been reading all of the posts and lots of great information! I have lots of experimenting to do. personally I don't mind the feathered legs and I like the crazy zigzag of the cuckoo pattern but what I'm going for is a Hardy, dual purpose, good egg producer that's got some flash that can be auto-sexed.

mainly just the fun of experimenting with genetic traits though. If I could afford it, I would do it with my horses. I had them genetically tested at UC Davis and it's so much fun to play with the color calculators.

But chickens will work just great and I'll get some fun crosses.

Well I've been reading all of the posts and lots of great information!  I have lots of experimenting to do.  personally I don't mind the feathered legs and I like the crazy zigzag of the cuckoo pattern but what I'm going for is a Hardy, dual purpose, good egg producer that's got some flash that can be auto-sexed. 

mainly just the fun of experimenting with genetic traits though.  If I could afford it, I would do it with my horses. I had them genetically tested at UC Davis and it's so much fun to play with the color calculators.

But chickens will work just great and I'll get some fun crosses.

Lol. It is fun. All of my Dexters are tested at UCDavis also. Not only color but A2, chondro, and polled status. Genetics is just one of those things that some of us love. :)

Not always, there are other factors involved.
Here's a good link which explains sex linked (note: this is not the same as auto sexing)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Yes that is a very good resource, but you stated barred Male over solid female. I know the first thing I wanted to do when I started playing with chickens was sex-links, just don't want someone reading it buying a barred rock male and putting it over RIR wondering why the chicks are not sex linked.

here are pics of what I'm going to try and cross...we'll see what happens
RIR roo
CM roo

CM hen

RIR hen
going to cross them see what hatches then go from there. I know its starting from scratch but unless I can get a pair of Rhodebar's it's all I've got right now. :)

here are pics of what I'm going to try and cross...we'll see what happens
RIR roo
CM roo

CM hen

RIR hen
going to cross them see what hatches then go from there. I know its starting from scratch but unless I can get a pair of Rhodebar's it's all I've got right now. :)
who is the girl on the pic? you?....

oops sorry, ok this is whats going to happen... all of your chicks are going to hatch black with yellow underbelly and yellow headspots, this birds will be moslty barred, the males will show some yellow leakage, the females will show some white/silver leakage on the breast too..

but for them to be autosexing you would have to outsourc the e+ wildtype e allele from a welsummer breed, but you can do that at a later time I beleive, you can work on introducing the barring gene to the RIR in the meantime...

Last edited:
who is the girl on the pic? you?....

oops sorry, ok this is whats going to happen... all of your chicks are going to hatch black with yellow underbelly and yellow headspots, this birds will be moslty barred, the males will show some yellow leakage, the females will show some white/silver leakage on the breast too..

but for them to be autosexing you would have to outsourc the e+ wildtype e allele from a welsummer breed, but you can do that at a later time I beleive, you can work on introducing the barring gene to the RIR in the meantime...

That's my daughter! LOL ...well I've got some Welsummer's coming next month so that will work out perfect. And like I said it's an experiment so the process will be fun! but I will keep posting pics as I go along. Thanks again niclandia ..I really appreciate the help.

That's my daughter! LOL ...well I've got some Welsummer's coming next month so that will work out perfect. And like I said it's an experiment so the process will be fun! but I will keep posting pics as I go along. Thanks again niclandia ..I really appreciate the help.
She is beautiful.........

oh and yes, having welsummers is going to be good.. you can even star a second line, the first one to introduce the Barring gene to the RIR using barred rocks, and the second line to introduce the e+ wildtype autosexing e allele to the RIR using the welsummer..

Back
Top Bottom