The Rhodebar thread!

is there no way to simplify the chicken calculator to use breeds instead of gene notations?
http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

Try this one, but I must warn you unless you know what goes into the breed some things will set themselves and be incorrect. Knowing the differences in what US calls colors and what Euro calls colors/patterns can easily throw off your formulas. Quite often the default will be a wild-type setting and that is not what you want.

http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

Try this one, but I must warn you unless you know what goes into the breed some things will set themselves and be incorrect. Knowing the differences in what US calls colors and what Euro calls colors/patterns can easily throw off your formulas. Quite often the default will be a wild-type setting and that is not what you want.
Thank you...was having trouble figuring out the gene notations. When what I wanted to do was plug in the breed and have it give me an estimated offspring since typically most chickens may have other gene markers but not expressing them. if that makes any sense.

Quote: Not true.

This is a guess at what you are going to do.... cross you mixed(she has yellow legs so not a Marans) Cuckoo hen with the RIR Roo.... that make sex links and only your roos from that cross will be barred all the solid chicks will be pullets. Black sex links is what you will get with that cross.

The other cross with a Cuckoo Roo x RIR hens you will get 100% barred chicks.... you may want to keep the eggs separated at hatch so you will KNOW what is what.

NOW I will also say your Cuckoo Roos is not a pure cuckoo and does not look like a golden either. If he is related to the Cuckoo hen with yellow legs he is carrying rec yellow and will breed it forward. They are not pure Marans and have been mixed... maybe with Barred Rocks.

Not true.

This is a guess at what you are going to do.... cross you mixed(she has yellow legs so not a Marans) Cuckoo hen with the RIR Roo.... that make sex links and only your roos from that cross will be barred all the solid chicks will be pullets. Black sex links is what you will get with that cross.

The other cross with a Cuckoo Roo x RIR hens you will get 100% barred chicks.... you may want to keep the eggs separated at hatch so you will KNOW what is what.

NOW I will also say your Cuckoo Roos is not a pure cuckoo and does not look like a golden either. If he is related to the Cuckoo hen with yellow legs he is carrying rec yellow and will breed it forward. They are not pure Marans and have been mixed... maybe with Barred Rocks.

Well it may be a barred rock hen not sure. didn't tag them after they hatched so ...hey what can I say backyard breeder :)
But that's ok if they have barred rock in the Cuckoo Maran, it's the barring gene I'm going for whether it's a CM barring gene or Barred rock gene doesn't matter.
I planned to cross the CMroo with the RIR hen then in a separate cross my RIR roo with cuckoo hen or barred rock hen whatever she is, then see what chicks hatch out from those two separate crosses. cross back to Welsummer at some point- for the wild type e+

right now however I'm working it out on paper before I put them together. just testing theory before I go into "clinical" trials ...LOL I do love experimenting!
must be the nurse in me! aren't you guys glad I'm only working with chickens and not human experiments! heheheh...

Not true.

sorry I dint see or noticed the cuckoo hen.. I just saw the RIR hen and Cuckoo Maran rooster....

So, took these about a week and a half ago..not sure of the age..but, should be able to tell. The darker one came looking like a chipmunk, the second one was way lighter, but no white spot on head. I can take more updated photos tomorrow, but the combs are still looking the same size.

The darker one is a female. I would cull the other regardless.

Nah, I'm just a small backyard person here. If it's a girl and will lay me some nice eggs, I'll be happy.
wink.png
Now, if it's a boy, I will have to get rid of it. I can't have roosters. :( So, will probably find someone that can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom