The Rhodebar thread!

Hmmm. It's all a mystery to me. There have been some strange things from some purported Rhodebar lines. Green eggs from a few places, orange hens from some place in TN (not me), lacing from some folks, and what worries more than anything is hatches from the same parents who aren't producing all autosexed chicks. To me, if you can't easily sex them then they aren't Rhodebars.
Where and how all these variables ate coming from we don't know. But i think it's great that some folks care enough to at least learn about what they have and try to perpetuate the best most accurate gene pool they can.
I am wiling to work what I have, select a and remove the less than good ones . I think I will put another project on hold for them. This will open a coop up. This way I can put any pullets that are less than prefect in with my medium or lighter roo and see what will happen just have to finish that coop up.

We have to work with what we have. Anybody truly wanting to improve on the RB are going to have to bring in some good Red blood and cull, cull, cull, until we get those funky genes out of the line. It is going to take time and a real commitment to do but I think in the end it will be well work it. Rhodebars can be a wonderful dual purpose bird and perfect for our homesteads.

I have been going back through this thread looking at some of the birds that had come directly from GFF and I have to say that many of them look worse then my improvement project F1's, and the prices they were getting for those chicks, well it's just a shame in my book.

Just remember only breed the best and cull, cull, cull the rest.

Penny

Would love to see some good representations of pure RB cocks posted here. There have been a lot of chick photos, but in scrolling back pages and pages I'm not seeing much in the way of double barred pure RB adult cocks. I know the breed has a way to go, but at least correct color would go a long way toward educating. I'd like to use those photos on some other RB discussion pages.

Mahalo!

Thought was time for a pic of the F1s. I took individual pics and group pics today. Here's one that was one of the darkest at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom