The Rhodebar thread!

You are one up on my start, all I have is a rooster BUT I am fortunate enough to have a good line of HRIR. I never have much luck with shipped eggs.

Penny

That is my backup plan should 1 not make it. I will brood these with a small group to up their chances. I knew the risk and thankful I got 2.

Absolutely! And while I agree i seem to have no suggestions.
Now that there are so many problems out there that are being perpetuated out of lack of knowledge, it appears that it is proving very difficult to put the cat back in the bag.
The other dilemma I suspect we have is that we are preaching to the choir. I suspect those who are perpetuating the problems have no idea the are problems. Any suggestions for addressing that elephant in the room would be greatly appreciated.

Well said and grateful to those of you that are "anal"
1f609.png
so the rest of us have a resource to improve or obtain these rare breeds.
On another note- hopefully your birds/eggs will be available in future to use as standards to go by

Last edited:
Yes - my first eggs in their 2nd week of incubation and I am hoping I get a responsible breeder ....

I agree with all you are saying about the issues - and if it doesn't work - it isn't a Rhodebar ... so just call it a great mixed chicken and leave it at that.

Absolutely! And while I agree i seem to have no suggestions.
Now that there are so many problems out there that are being perpetuated out of lack of knowledge, it appears that it is proving very difficult to put the cat back in the bag.
The other dilemma I suspect we have is that we are preaching to the choir. I suspect those who are perpetuating the problems have no idea the are problems. Any suggestions for addressing that elephant in the room would be greatly appreciated.
I advocate speaking your truth at every turn. When people are asking about RB, say what's real. When selling the ones that don't make the cut, say what's real. When people ask about the RB, I speak the truth and say what they need to be looking for and WHY, even if I don't have it to sell to them. I say I'm working with what I have and why I'm culling so hard, etc. And I tell them that there are a lot of people out there selling "RB" who don't know any better. Hopefully they get some of what I'm saying and can then make better choices. It's the best I can do. I don't think being "polite" by NOT telling them they have purchased crap is helpful. Of course we can use phrases like "I'd like to see a lot less black on the cockerel" or "We really don't breed forward chicks that are not obviously autosexing" instead of "DON'T BREED THAT CRAP BIRD." Look directly at the elephant, point to it, but don't make it feel bad for being what it is.

Time for some current F1 pics... These were taken with my phone so please pardon the poor quality. ..

These are second hatch? They all look like males to me. On the last pic the one that you can only see part of looks like a pullet. Your backs are longer and tails lower on these guys, much the same way most of my males are turning out. If we can get the pullets tails down that will be a major improvement. I am thinking putting a good F1 male with good tail angle, good wing carriage, wider back, (which I am seeing in my F1 males) over HRIR hens we should get some good type.

Penny

Well all of these except the first one are in my darkest striped pen. So I had been assuming females until I looked closer today.
I figured that would confuse you. Confused me too.
Glad I had them in separate pens or i would have thought I had gotten them mixed up.
These are from the first hatch.

That's the reason I thought I'd post. I believe two of my really dark striped chipmunk are male.
Fascinating comment. .. Regardless of their down they are feathering very similar. We knew this on paper but watching them feather the same from different down is really rather mind boggling... like you were drinking a coke and accidently picked up someone's root beer and your brain goes "wrong, wrong, wrong! " ROFL

That's the reason I thought I'd post. I believe two of my really dark striped chipmunk are male.
Fascinating comment. .. Regardless of their down they are feathering very similar. We knew this on paper but watching them feather the same from different down is really rather mind boggling... like you were drinking a coke and accidently picked up someone's root beer and your brain goes "wrong, wrong, wrong! " ROFL

LOL. My daughter just came in and saw pics of your birds and wanted to know what pen they were in. She thought they were pics of my F1's, lol.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom