The Rhodebar thread!

I'm planning on re-homing the rooster (I've gotten the Rhodebars for laying/utility purposes not breeding), so I personally don't care what color they are as long as they lay well....but I want to be accurate and truthful to anyone who gets the rooster...assuming I find a home.

Thanks.
Lady of McCamley
If you are rehoming the cockerel, please don't sell/give away as a Rhodebar. Your confusion is real, and it is a disservice to the breed to pass on inferior stock of any breed/species. I think you would get 100% same answer from any serious RB breeder to keep this type of chick down coloring OUT of the RB gene pool as it is not clearly autosexing. Please find him a home as a mixed breed, or eat him yourself. They make fine fryers.

If you are rehoming the cockerel, please don't sell/give away as a Rhodebar. Your confusion is real, and it is a disservice to the breed to pass on inferior stock of any breed/species. I think you would get 100% same answer from any serious RB breeder to keep this type of chick down coloring OUT of the RB gene pool as it is not clearly autosexing. Please find him a home as a mixed breed, or eat him yourself. They make fine fryers.
...and hence my question posted...because I do desire to re-home or dispose responsibly...and it appears t'will be for utility purposes or freezer camp only....assuming the wheaten turns out to be a rooster...I could luck out and it could be a hen, so I won't sharpen the knife quite yet.
tongue.png

Lady of McCamley

I loaned my small bator and a dozen Rhodebar eggs to my sisters school to hatch. They hatched 5 pullets and 5 cockerels, so anyone wanting easily sexed Rhodebar chicks please let me know... I will not be keeping any of this hatch since I just had knee surgery about 10 hrs ago and will not be able to take care of them.
Pick up in East TN... No shipping.

I loaned my small bator and a dozen Rhodebar eggs to my sisters school to hatch. They hatched 5 pullets and 5 cockerels, so anyone wanting easily sexed Rhodebar chicks please let me know... I will not be keeping any of this hatch since I just had knee surgery about 10 hrs ago and will not be able to take care of them.
How far East TN? Daughter just moved to new farm with new hubby in TN looking to expand flock.
Will PM you.
Lady of McCamley

Hope your surgery went well and you get back on your feet soon Sheri.

Penny

I snapped a couple of pics of my first hatch F1 pullets. As you can see in the pics their legs are no longer greenish but a nice bright yellow. They are awesome foragers go much further from the coop then my HRIR did at that age. Since letting them free-range my feed bill has really decreased, lol. I am hoping this trait follows into the next generation.

Penny

I snapped a couple of pics of my first hatch F1 pullets. As you can see in the pics their legs are no longer greenish but a nice bright yellow. They are awesome foragers go much further from the coop then my HRIR did at that age. Since letting them free-range my feed bill has really decreased, lol. I am hoping this trait follows into the next generation. Penny
Oh thank you so much for the pics. I needed that! :) Boredom had set in here and it's killing me that I haven't seen any of my critters since last Thursday. I walked without crutches this morning so I'm hoping I can get to the barn in the next few days. Even have a new calf I haven't seen. I am not very good at doing nothing. Knee surgery was not on my agenda this spring. But... it's over so... catching up on reading. So... The pics provided me with some much needed entertainment. .. Thanks. :) they are looking good. I bet you are getting excited for pol.

Wow it's been a long time since i've been on here.. I've been so busy with college i haven't had time to mess with the chickens much.. Especially after last winter when i had a neighbor's jack russel decided to make a meal out of my lone Rhodebar roo and not to long after, ate all of the cockerels i had gotten to replace him with.. I was a little frustrated, yet i found a guy around me that had some Rhodebar eggs for me to hatch out so i could start playing with breeding and genetics again!
bow.gif
I was happy with the hatch! We put 36 eggs in the incubator and 29 hatched out! One kinda had a gimp leg and didn't make it, but the others all look healthy! Right now i'm keeping the best ones out of the group to see how they grow and feather out. I'm super excited!

Here's a picture of all of them in the incubator.. i still don't know how i get a random black chick in every hatch i buy from someone..

Then here are the one's i plan on keeping after sifting through all Wheaten genes, and those with faint markings.

Keep in mind i'm 20 years old just trying to learn and have fun with breeding chickens and trying to understand the genetic side of things.

Opinions on how they look..? or any Advice?

I decided to sell all of my Rhodebars, aside from two hens that are my pets (nice hens who decided they love me!).
I have two pairs, 8 months plus, hens are laying. $40 a pair
And a quad of 2 months olds, 3 hens and one roo. All from Greenfire. I kept the best roosters of the 8 month olds.$60 for the quad.
I live in Carnation and will not ship. (east of Seattle) I am going a different direction and selling the Rhodebars.

Back
Top Bottom