The Rhodebar thread!

Hi guys! I have a empty coop and decided to raise rhodebars. Bought eggs from three breeders and the first set hatched a couple days ago. Three are females for sure, and three males, but the other two I don't know. Is this a bad sign or normal?

The top picture is of the two I'm not sure about. Three are chipmunk colored, three are light yellow, and the other two....Thinking they are boys?

The top picture is of the two I'm not sure about. Three are chipmunk colored, three are light yellow, and the other two....Thinking they are boys?
If you can't easily sex them at hatch, they're not really Rhodebars. Mr. Dark with headspot is a cockerel. Stripey in the bottom photo is a pullet, yellow chick with her is probably a cockerel. The pinkish tint (heatlamp?) makes it difficult to see the lighter chick in the top photo, but could be a very light pullet unless that's a small headspot. Breed the darker ones.

If you can't easily sex them at hatch, they're not really Rhodebars. Mr. Dark with headspot is a cockerel. Stripey in the bottom photo is a pullet, yellow chick with her is probably a cockerel. The pinkish tint (heatlamp?) makes it difficult to see the lighter chick in the top photo, but could be a very light pullet unless that's a small headspot. Breed the darker ones.
I agree however. .. I'm not convinced these are Rhodebars at all. See how they mature. The darker female has a very poorly defined head stripe. I would cull the wheaten ones, then grow our the darker - Then make your decision about if and who to breed.

I would like to get some advise about my Roosters. I have been using these two roos for my first hatch. I have 3 hatched so far and 2 have auto sexing characteristics. One is almost pure blond.
I am not sure where the blame lies. Pic 1 and 2 are of my Single Bar. Pictures 3 and 4 are of my Double bar. I have a couple more double bar with my free rangers but only the one single. Will post some pics of chicks

Thanks for any help!

I .

Last edited:
I'm off subject..but had to share. Our 33rd grandchild. Some of you have seen me on here a few times...enough to share this little hatchling. No assistance necessary!
Looks like his older brother, and dad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom