The Rhodebar thread!

One of the F1 girls out scratching for bugs.

And another

Last edited:
the F1 girls, those are the ones you are mating back to a full rhodebar rooster right?  That will give you F2 females if I understood the prior posts. 

Actually the ones in the pictures above are in my laying pen. They are my culls. They were the medium colored girls at hatch. I am only breeding the darkest, most wild type girls.
My best F1 male is being bred to my RIR, some of my F1 girls are being bred to the F1 male, and some are being bred to a Rhodebar cock.
Pure coincidence... I got my first F1 eggs this morning - two of them. They came out of this pen below...
So as soon as I get my bator fired up again i will begin collecting eggs. I knew these girls were close to pol so I put the cock with them a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I need to mark my two who began laying at 24 weeks. That's a trait i'd like to perpetuate.
I've only raised Cornish X in the fall before, so having youngsters through the winter will be new for me.

I have two pair of rhodebar and got eggs a couple weeks ago for several days. I haven't gotten an egg for about 10 days. What could have happened? The 2 roosters and 2 pullets are in the same pen and they roosters give the girls a hard time. Should I separate them to get the girl laying again or something else going on?

I need to mark my two who began laying at 24 weeks. That's a trait i'd like to perpetuate.
I've only raised Cornish X in the fall before, so having youngsters through the winter will be new for me.
For us the timing of the winter deep freezes forced us to make the transitions at later ages. Every time I thought I could get the chicks out of the brooders, a deep freeze was predicted. September chicks were not a problem but the end of October chicks took much too long to be on their own for heat when we were turning into the north pole for 7-10 days at a time or when the temps would drop 30-40 degrees overnight.

Quote:
what you are seeing is the effect of double barring on males red enhanced chick down, Hampbars and New Hampshires carry Mahogany(but not the extra red enhancers found on RIR) so mahogany is boosting the chicks down(males and females) we see this because gold wheaten chicks look plain yellow( as in wheaten old english game) http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm#wheaten as oposed to red enhanced New Hampshire chicks http://www.welphatchery.com/welp-layers/new-hampshire-red-female/ so Mahogany is boosting these chicks down, so why or how are they autosexable? due to the dilution effect of Barring gene, specifically double barring on males, the effect on males will make their chick down lighter, sort of like how you can sex gold sexlink chicks(RIR x Delaware ) where the male is Silver/yellow and females are brown/orange in shade https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/13371_gold_vs_silver.jpg Now on Hampbars the effect is maybe a little less but there Keith I will post pics of the chicks you posted back on 2012 of your Hampbar chicks on "The Classroom" forums, if the difference now is more drastic(as seen in gold sexlinks) please let us know and post pics of your current chicks.. (the Male is the lighter one on the middle)
Hampbarchicks.JPG
I was able to get this pic of your site, it says 2013, of Max and Mayble, are they Hampbars? I see a lighter chick on the left
MaxnMayble.JPG

Back
Top Bottom