The Rhodebar thread!

If we breed our Rhodebar rooster to RIR hens what will the autosexing of the offspring be? Will the pullets look like the Rhodebar rooster and the cockerels like the RIR? Here is a picture of our Rhodebar Rooster.
They will not be autosexing, all the chicks will look alike and you will not be able to sex them until they get old enough to show secondary sex characteristics (comb, pointed hackle feathers, etc.)
If you want autosexing, you need both parents to have the correct genetics and RIR hens don't have that. Your fastest path to autosexing is to buy some pure Rhodebar pullets to go with your male.

Where are you located, perhaps someone reading this will be able to help. I know I could help if you were near me.

If we breed our Rhodebar rooster to RIR hens what will the autosexing of the offspring be? Will the pullets look like the Rhodebar rooster and the cockerels like the RIR? Here is a picture of our Rhodebar Rooster.
Hello, they will not be auto sexing . They will be an arrange of chicks. Wildstripe, some barely wild stripe,and yellow. Keep all well defined wildstripe chicks . Breed back to RB cock those will be an improvement and will be auto sexing at hatch. Keep the most dark red in color and continue to breed that way . Cull all faintly wildstripe chicks and yellow.

Does anybody on this forum have a picture of what a rhodebar hen is supposed to look like for the British standards of perfection? I've looked everywhere, and have seen multiple different types of rhodebar hens, that look nothing like each other. Note: I've found pictures and information on the roos (no black on chest, back, etc). Just nothing on hens. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.

This boy is from a nice heritage rose comb RIR hen crossed with my Rhodebar roo.

He is free for the taking if anyone wants to pick him up in Southwest Oklahoma

Does anybody on this forum have a picture of what a rhodebar hen is supposed to look like for the British standards of perfection? I've looked everywhere, and have seen multiple different types of rhodebar hens, that look nothing like each other. Note: I've found pictures and information on the roos (no black on chest, back, etc). Just nothing on hens. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.

Hello, That is one of the problems with Rhodebar. Even improving them it is still hard to come out with consistent color patterns for them. Seems that one problem is shafting and wheaten based coloration. But they are getting better with each generation. One problem is people selling RB and do not care about the genetics of them. As long as they are sex linked and they can make a quick buck selling them as RB. They add, other sex link breeds to them, like Greenfire farms did.( which is why we have all the problems with them. They did to have genetic diversity and messed them all up!)

What do you think of this pullet? I have Rhodebars that have more barring on their neck, some with stipling, and others that have this golden color. I'm not sure which one would be closer to the standard of perfection for color?

Back
Top Bottom