The Rhodebar thread!

Hi all. I have a year old roo and 2 juvenile roos. I'm needing some advice on which ones to keep for breeding. I love my year old roo as he is a sweet, chatty guy and keeps everyone in their place.

So far, I'm not liking the personality of these little nasty boys. They are not at all friendly and bite me every chance they get. The one on the right has some black on his breast, so I gather he's a no go. Would they be consider double or single barred? They are darker than my golden boy but have fairly wide barring. The one on the left is a nicer looking roo, I think. His breast is brown but has some black barring on the tips of his hackle feathers. Is this ok. Could someone comment on their form?

Here are my new girls. This first one has a half flop on her comb and brown hackle feathers. The second has golden hackle feathers. Both are a rich mahogany color, which doesn't show well in the photos.

I would appreciate anyone's input as far as the good, bad & ugly qualities of each of these birds. There seems to be a lack of information as far as what we are shooting for with these Rhodebars. I mean, there is the British Standard of Perfection, but what does that actually look like? @michaelf, @Rocky Rhodes, @nicalandia, , @RedRidge, @dheltzel chime in here?

I tried reading through this whole thread but ran out of time before work. I'll have to pick back up at lunch! I was looking at the chart that was posted way back in the thread but am wondering if I could start with a Cream Legbar Roo and a heritage RIR hen to start the process? I love the deep mahogany of my RIR's and my CL roo is my favorite bird so I would like to find a use for him other than just being "mama's boy" LOL

Any info would be appreciated. TIA

I tried reading through this whole thread but ran out of time before work. I'll have to pick back up at lunch! I was looking at the chart that was posted way back in the thread but am wondering if I could start with a Cream Legbar Roo and a heritage RIR hen to start the process?  I love the deep mahogany of my RIR's and my CL roo is my favorite bird so I would like to find a use for him other than just being "mama's boy" LOL  

Any info would be appreciated.  TIA

That cross would not be a Rhodebar .That is one of the issues we face with a lot of the Rhodebar out there. Green fire farms introduced Creme Legbar into them and introduces a lot of wrong genetics .

That cross would not be a Rhodebar .That is one of the issues we face with a lot of the Rhodebar out there. Green fire farms introduced Creme Legbar into them and introduces a lot of wrong genetics .
Thanks,
I appreciate the info. I think I still may breed the two "just cuz" I like them so much but now I know it wouldn't make a Rhodebar.

Thanks,
I appreciate the info. I think I still may breed the two "just cuz" I like them so much but now I know it wouldn't make a Rhodebar.
I got some chicks that was rhodebar and legbar cross in them. They laid lots and lots of olive colored eggs. The great part is that you can tell what they are male or female at birth. Olive eggs are not my forte so I sold them.

Last edited:
Hi hope all are doing great.. If you had a Rhode Island Red Judge look at these males and females... what would he say to you about type... not color and anything else just body type... I must be wrong but what I have read about the breeding of Rhodebars is they are nothing more than a Rhode Island Red with the barring gene added.. so what would that judge say about type... ?

have a great one...

Keith

Hi all. A couple weeks ago, a adopted a ragged 1.5 yr old (sold to me as) rhodebar hen, going through a rough molt and with a bare back thanks to some over-enthusiastic roos. Farm that sold her said they were taking her out of the breeding program because she lays a blue-green egg.

It’s hard to tell right now because of her feather loss, but she does look different than what I expected based on Internet photos of rhodebars.... seems darker in some places, orange-er in others. And obviously rhodebars are supposed to lay tinted/brown eggs, not blue-green.

Wondered what you all thought. Is this in fact some type of “Rhodebar”? Can someone show me what her feather coloring will look like once she gets all her plumage back?

Here she is the day I brought her home:
B3D88E52-2581-4224-A3F7-8A281219D73B.jpeg

(The lighting here is dark as this was taken at dusk)
521D261B-F656-4BF5-B1FC-5E0C3F943F38.jpeg

And now here she is two weeks later, with her back thankfully starting to fill in!
CAE3DCC9-04CF-43A4-9F52-EF0F75E02D1D.jpeg
655D6705-1AAA-4B65-903F-3703955401AF.jpeg
6A4032B3-ED51-4450-9515-653BE7109873.jpeg
FF34CB4C-B05E-448D-8256-66979B006586.jpeg
8414B3FE-AF74-4592-8A3A-5607BAD7B1FF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom