The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
We intend to obtain the best heritage RIR we can find and cross them back to the RB. We want the Rhodebar as dark as we can get them. We also have Marraduna Basque which can look recomarkable simliar to the RB. Our intent is to breed those to the lighter more yellow coloration.
both RIR and the barred basque breeds are based on Wheaten(eWh) and they are almost impossible to autosex at hatch, you would have to breed back to parent Rhodebar to regain the autosexing trait(e+ wildtype e allele)

both RIR and the barred basque breeds are based on Wheaten(eWh) and they are almost impossible to autosex at hatch, you would have to breed back to parent Rhodebar to regain the autosexing trait(e+ wildtype e allele)
Yes thank you, I am aware we will have to breed back to the Rhodebar. Our Rhodebar from GF show considerable variance in coloration both on the hens and roosters. We want to use heritage RIR to shift the RB to the really DARK RED base color of the those birds and maybe increase size a little.

We do not intend to cros anything into the Basque we will just cull towards the color we like.

Thanks, Mike

Yes thank you, I am aware we will have to breed back to the Rhodebar. Our Rhodebar from GF show considerable variance in coloration both on the hens and roosters. We want to use heritage RIR to shift the RB to the really DARK RED base color of the those birds and maybe increase size a little.

We do not intend to cros anything into the Basque we will just cull towards the color we like.

Thanks, Mike
sounds like a plan...
thumbsup.gif

I am not quite understanding the issues here. Why would you not use a Rhodebar and Rhode Island Red to improve the Rhodebar.
I never said we shouldn't. Did someone else?

All I have been saying is that you can't cross a Rhodebar x RIR cross back to a Rhodebar and then call it a purebred Rhodebar. Simple genetics - and really obvious when you see the difference in chick colors at hatch.

How is this being misunderstood? Or somehow misconstrued?
barnie.gif

I never said we shouldn't. Did someone else?

All I have been saying is that you can't cross a Rhodebar x RIR cross back to a Rhodebar and then call it a purebred Rhodebar. Simple genetics - and really obvious when you see the difference in chick colors at hatch.

How is this being misunderstood? Or somehow misconstrued?
barnie.gif
seeing how Rhodbars and RIR are very close genetically(autosexing traits making the difference) a Backcross to Rhodebar should never be called mutts as long as they are autosexable

Edit.. only the BC1 that are not autosexable(not Rhodebars at all, just Barred RIR) should not be called Rhodebars at all, just project birds,

Last edited:
Wow this Thread is all fired up
pop.gif
I just wanted to clear this up... Rhodebars should be just an Autosexing RIR(body type, utility traits, egg size and color).. so if one choses to out cross a Rhodebar to a RIR one can regain a "True"(pure) Rhodebars as Early as BC1(F1 Back Cross to Rhodebar Parent) or as Early as F2(F1xF1) but going this rout(F2) you will need to Hatch a lot more eggs(100+) so going the BC1 rout is the best rout..

as for Showing Rhodebars(as in Show Cages) I would guess one Can/Should use Heterozygous Males as they would show alot more red than Homozygous Males

just like this Male.. I would say the BC1 males that dont make the Rhodebar Category(as in not Autosexing able) would be good for showing(they would look like female Rhodebar at hatch)

This is a single factor barred male created here in the US by tadkerson[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. He has a nice deep mahogany color, double factor males will be lighter in color.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom