The Right to Grow and Raise Your Own Food

Pics
It's amazing sometimes what you find in older cases. Here's an Interesting case regarding the disposal of table scraps and food. In the case, the proprietors of a hotel also owned a farm. The owner of the hotel would take the good table scraps, separate the good from the bad, and take the rest back to the farm to use as feed. Seems like nothing's wrong. Of course, leave it to those who have exclusive rights to haul the garbage to complain about the transgression of transporting your own garbage. The hotel owner said he wasn't transporting "garbage" - he was hauling what was still good unused food. The Michigan Supreme Court upheld the ordinance since we're still talking about hauling garbage but there's some interesting comments about about the good food and how it would not be a nuisance if the food was still good and how people have a right to dispose of the good portion as they see fit. Here's what the Michigan Supreme Court said in the case of Pantlind v. City of Grand Rapids, 210 Mich. 18 (1920) (I left out the facts and jumped to the argument):

Cleanliness characterized the keeping and handling of this garbage by all of the plaintiffs. None of the plaintiffs collected or conveyed through the streets of the city any garbage but his own. On August 24, 1917, the city notified plaintiffs to discontinue forthwith the practice of disposing and collecting garbage and conveying the same through the streets of the city. On August 31, 1917, plaintiffs Pantlind and Lawrence filed their bill of complaint in the superior court of Grand Rapids alleging among other things that the city was about to proceed against them under the ordinance, to take their property, the so-called garbage, from them without compensation, to their irreparable injury, and to subject them to daily arrests, prosecutions and multiplicity of suits, and praying a temporary order and a perpetual injunction restraining the city from proceeding against them under the ordinance and from interfering with them in their transporting and conveying from their respective hotels and restaurants to their farms in the country, their so-called garbage. A temporary restraining order was allowed. Plaintiff Hannaford was permitted to intervene without objection of record. Defendant answered and by cross-bill asked affirmative relief: That the plaintiffs be required to account to the city for the garbage which had been taken to their farms and that they be enjoined from transporting through the streets of the city any garbage, and from in any way violating the provisions of the city ordinance relating thereto. After a hearing the trial court decreed to plaintiffs the relief prayed. Defendant has appealed. Because of what was said in Grand Rapids Board of Health v. Vink, 184 Mich. 688, and City of Grand Rapids v. DeVries, 123 Mich. 570, we consider but the following: Was the material conveyed by plaintiffs through the streets garbage within the meaning of the ordinance and had the city the right to control the disposition of it? That the matter conveyed through the streets of the city by the plaintiffs to their farms was almost wholly garbage within the meaning of section 3 of the ordinance above quoted we have no doubt. It was "a refuse accumulation of animal, fruit and vegetable matter" attending the preparation, cooking and use of food in these enterprises. Century Dictionary defines refuse: "That which is refused or rejected; waste or useless matter; the worst or meanest part." See Gardner v. Michigan, 199 U.S. 325 (26 Sup. Ct. Rep. 106).

"In the case last cited ( City of Grand Rapids v. DeVries, supra) it was quite plainly implied that the common council, in the exercise of the police power, had the right to treat as a nuisance all such refuse as is unfit for human food. The court may well take judicial notice that table refuse, when dumped into receptacles kept for that purpose, will speedily ferment and emit noisome odors calculated to affect the public health." People v. Gardner, 136 Mich. 693.

See, also, Iler v. Ross, 64 Neb. 710 (90 N.W. 869, 57 L.R.A. 895); State v. Robb, 100 Me. 180 (60 Atl. 874, 4 Ann. Cas. 275).

As to the right of plaintiffs to those wholesome substances, leavings of the kitchen or table, which are fit for food, we quote from City of Grand Rapids v. DeVries, supra:

"It may be said that the ordinance does not attempt to regulate in any manner whatever the disposition of wholesome substances by the householder. It is aimed only at refuse; that is, discarded, worthless matter -- matter unfit for food. The householder has perfect liberty, under the ordinance, to consume, or to sell or give away, all the leavings of his table or kitchen that are fit for food."

The above language plainly implies that the city in the exercise of its police power had the right to treat as a nuisance all such refuse as is unfit for human food. People v. Gardner, supra. Wholesome substances may be distinguished from garbage upon the facts of a given case but generally speaking they may include broken bread, meat trimmings, vegetable parts, specked apples and the like, if fit for food. See State v. Orr, 68 Conn. 101 (35 Atl. 770, 34 L.R.A. 279). But when such matter is mingled with garbage it becomes subject to public control. Dupont v. District of Columbia, 20 App. D.C. 477.

"All authorities agree in holding that garbage in and of itself is a nuisance." Grand Rapids Board of Health v. Vink, supra.

Gatherers, collectors and purchasers of garbage who conveyed the same through city streets have been held to be violators of such ordinances (cases above cited). Urbach v. City of Omaha, 101 Neb. 314 (163 N.W. 307); People v. Gordon, 81 Mich. 306.

But it is urged that a person who has produced garbage upon his own premises has a right to dispose of it and to convey it through the streets because it is property of value and that as to him the ordinance is wanting in the due process of law required by the Constitution. Upon this point several dead animal cases, so-called, are cited but these are not controlling. It is not competent to declare a dead animal to be a nuisance immediately after death. People v. Gardner, supra. Dead animals are not nuisances per se, and the city in its ordinances must pay a proper regard [27] for the rights of the owner in such property. River Rendering Co. v. Behr, 77 Mo. 91. Garbage cases precisely in point are not cited. But we again quote from People v. Gardner, 136 Mich. 696:

HN1 "The court may well take judicial notice that table refuse, when dumped into receptacles kept for that purpose, will speedily ferment and emit noisome odors calculated to affect the public health. If, in providing against such a nuisance, the owner of such material suffers some slight loss, the inconvenience or loss is presumed to be compensated in the common benefit secured by regulation. Horr & B. Mun. Pol. Ord. § 220."

The ordinance in the Gardner Case, supra, including the definition of garbage, is substantially the same as in the case at bar. In Gardner v. Michigan, supra, the language above quoted is approved and the court said:

"The defendant insists that it is part of the common knowledge of the country that the refuse from kitchens, tables, hotels and restaurants is valuable as food for swine, and is property within the meaning of the constitutional provision which forbids the taking by any State of private property for public use without compensation. * * *

"Looking at the matter in a practical light, we are unable to say that the means devised by the city council and indicated by its action were plainly unreasonable or unnecessary or did not have a real, substantial relation to the protection of the public.

"Touching the suggestion that garbage and refuse are valuable for the manufacture of merchantable grease and other products it is sufficient, in view of what we have said in the other case, to remark that it was a controlling obligation of the city, which it could not properly ignore, to protect the health of its people in all lawful ways having relation to that object; and if, in its judgment, fairly and reasonably exercised, the presence of garbage and refuse in the city, on the premises of householders and otherwise, would endanger the public health, by causing the spread of [28] disease, then it could rightfully require such garbage and refuse to be removed and disposed of, even if it contained some elements of value. In such circumstances, the property rights of individuals in the noxious materials described in the ordinance must be subordinated to the general good. If it be said that the city might have adequately guarded the public health and at the same time saved the property rights of its owner on whose premises garbage and refuse were found, the answer is that the city evidently thought otherwise, and we cannot confidently say that its constituted authorities went beyond the necessities of the case and exceeded their proper functions when they passed the ordinance in question. Those ordinances cannot, therefore, according to well-settled principles, be held to be wanting in the due process of law required by the Constitution."

We quote from State v. Robb, supra:

"It may therefore be regarded as settled that HN2 reasonable municipal health regulations, under the authority of the State, are not void as taking private property without due process of law, or as a taking of private property without just compensation. * * *

"That some regulation of the collection and removal of refuse and offal in thickly populated cities (is necessary) is not denied. It needs no argument to show that if the disposal of matter of that sort already decayed or which will forthwith decay, be left to the will or whim or negligence, or ignorance of its owner, or of those to whom the owner may commit it for removal, the health, to say nothing of the comfort, of the public, will be seriously endangered. Ordinances or other regulations with respect to the collection and disposal of offal and garbage have frequently been before the courts, and in no case has the power and propriety of regulation been questioned, though in some cases objectionable features in the method of regulation have been discovered. * * *

"The question now reverts to whether the regulation adopted in this case was reasonable and lawful. By its terms it gives the exclusive privilege of collecting and removing all refuse matter constituting house offal or swill, within the city of Portland, to a [29] person or persons specially appointed, and prohibits all other persons from engaging in that business. It even prohibits the owners upon whose premises the refuse is made, from carrying it through the streets -- no matter how carefully and safely -- to uses of their own outside of the city. That house offal has some appreciable value, we think, may be assumed, but as we have already seen, that fact does not save it from police regulation, if it is already noxious, or is in such condition as to require prompt intervention to prevent its becoming noxious and dangerous to health. Harrington v. Board of Aldermen, 20 R.I. 233 (38 Atl. 1, 38 L.R.A. 305). The State may even direct its destruction. Lawton v. Steele, 152 U.S. 133 (14 Sup. Ct. Rep. 499)."

See, also, Iler v. Ross, supra; 2 Dillon Mun. Corp. (5th Ed.) § 678; State v. Payssan, 47 La. Ann. 1029; In re Zhizhuzza, 147 Cal. 328 (81 Pac. 955); North American Cold Storage Co. v. Chicago, 211 U.S. 306 (29 Sup. Ct. Rep. 101).

The rights of plaintiffs in this garbage must be subordinated to the general good. They are compensated in the common benefits secured by the ordinance. The city has the right to control the disposition of this garbage agreeably to the provisions of the ordinance. The request of the defendant for an accounting which is not discussed in its brief and which is not supported by competent evidence and which was seemingly abandoned upon the hearing will be denied. The decree of the lower court is reversed and one will be entered dismissing the bill of complaint and enjoining plaintiffs from conveying garbage through the streets of the city and from in any manner violating the ordinance of the defendant city with reference to garbage or removal thereof. No costs will be awarded.

From Justice Scalia's dissent in the Obamacare case, N.F.I.B. v. Sebelius:

Quote:
Although this is from the dissent, Scalia's dissent, Scalia's opinion, combined with Judge Robert's opinion, establishes that one cannot be compelled to engage in commerce under the federal commerce power. Congress cannot regulate inactivity. The context of Scalia's statement must be kept in mind and while he says that the government can regulate the quality of food and how much one can pay, that statement is in the context of the regulating the purchase of food.

I live in Blackman Twp (Blackman twp ph#517-784-8457). I am zoned Suburban Residential outside of City Limits on 2 acres fenced in with 6 ft high cyclone fence. We have owned chickens 4 1/2 years. I called the township prior to buying our coop and was told we are not zoned for chickens but if we get permission from our neighbors they do no enforce unless a neighbor complains. We asked our 3 bordering neighbors on our sides. We have 50 acres of woods across the road from us and 50 acres of what used to be an old race track. All neighbors said it was fine with them. 3 years ago our 70 yr old neighbors wife died and he remarried last year to a woman a few years younger than him. This lady is a witch. She has made comments about her husband hating our dog. Our dog died in 4/2020. She made a comment about the people who owned our house in 2008 took really good care of the yard. they were retired and were in the yard sunup to sundown. And they both died of cancer. We bought chicks this spring one was a rooster. The week he started crowing he was over complaining. and he didn't crow a lot. but we got rid of him the next day. Then about a month ago he came back and said his new wife had chiggars from our chickens. He said they researched and chiggars are from birds. I said we have poultry, not birds. I said we don't have any bites and my husband and I exposed our legs. He said I want your chickens gone! I said "No." He said well, I will take care of it. We have had one letter from the Blackman Twp Police Sergeant Gillespie and a visit. He said she is calling every day. We have got rid of half of our chickens and we are doing a Zoom Townhip Meeting tonight. Can anyone help me? Our grandchildren love watching our chickens, our neighbors grandkids love watching them. We have no bug bites, our grandkids have no bug bites (ages 1-9), we actually have way less bugs in our yard. She on the otherhand has brought in bagged and a truckload of dirt for new raised gardens by her house, had construction done on his house and has been in the hospital from falling and breaking her back. Prior to this she told us she was a Christian, we told her we were also and told her which church we attend. He even came to our house and asked us to pray for her when she was in the hospital with her broken back. And then this! If I had just got chickens I might understand. If they were destroying her yard, I would understand. Our chickens have never been out of our yard. We pay our mortgage, pay our property taxes and they dictate we cant have 25 birds on 2 ACRES? We now have 14. Please help anyone.

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread and honestly I wish it were still going! I have been keeping chickens for roughly 20 years now. A few days ago I received my chicken ticket from code enforcement because of a complaint by someone. I don't know who as the code enforcer said they didn't have a name. So, I will have my day in court. I will update this thread with new information as I find it and will also update on the outcome of my case. I am in Georgia.

Funny thing is I have the right to face my accuser so the fact that they will not provide me with the name of the accuser is ludicrous to me!

There is alot of good information here that I will be able to use in my defense.

Also, according to Georgia State Code / Title 2 / Chapter 1 / Section 2-1-6 : No county, municipality, consolidated government, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, rule, regulation, or resolution regulating crop management or animal husbandry practices involved in the production of agricultural or farm products on any private property.
So this sounds like a promising defense for my situation. The ordinance in question was passed in 2016 telling free Americans how many chickens they are allowed to have on their property and how much land they are allowed to have in order to keep those chickens on their property.

As I said above, I will update with any new findings and will update on the outcome of my case. I am not going to beg for a variance or beg for the ordinance to be changed as these are all violations of a free living humans rights. I am going to challenge the whole concept that the government can tell you what you can and cannot do within the boundaries of your own private property.

I ran across this thread as well and this is an amazing piece of ammunition that will be included in my case!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ordinace-law.1167009/post-18410152

I wish there were more of us out there that had a passion in standing up for our constitutional freedom rather than bending to the will of those that would impose color of law upon us!

Hope this thread gains new life! Maybe I am the only one still here...who knows. I hope there are more like me out there willing to stand tall and fight against oppression!

I was reading the thread in this section on the challenge in Canada on the "Right to Food." Of course, being an attorney, I was intrigued by that thought and wondered what case law there might be in the United States on that concept (after all, the U.S. and Canada do share a common law tradition. Certainly, I knew of some of the fundamental rights that have been recognized by the Supreme Court, including the right to travel, the right to marry, the right to privacy, etc. I knew of some cases that I had studied a while back dealing with the rights to enjoy the common occupations of life. I had not really done a lot of research into the whole notion of - what about the right to food, or the right to grow your own food.

The reason that I want to start looking into this is because in this part of the forum, the title of the forum appears to assume that the locality has the right to zone how it will. The focus is on changing the ordinance (which may not be a bad way to go about it).

For the Michigan crowd, we have the Michigan Right to Farm Act which preempts all zoning ordinances that would seek to affect commercial farming operations, and the issue there is how do the citizens of the good state of Michigan enforce their rights under the Right to Farm Act.

But, as I got to thinking about the issue, it is much more fundamental than that.

The issue is not changing the ordinance. The real issue is challenging the whole notion that any level of state government can interfere with your fundamental right to provide yourself with the necessities of life. Can the state stop you from growing and raising food? Note, this is different than saying you have a "right to food." One has to be careful about how to frame the right. A "right to food" can be construed to mean a right to have food provided for you. To me, the right that is much more easier to defend is the right for any person to pursue, through his own efforts, the necessities and sustenance that he needs to live. Framed this way, the right you have is to use your own industry, on your own land, to raise and grow your own food. It's not a right to have things handed to you - it's a right to use your own hands to provide for yourself (a much easier concept for people to accept and agree with and one that is supported in the case law).

Why is exploring this avenue important? Simply, I want people to start challenging zoning ordinances properly, and I think it can be done. But it requires proper argumentation and understanding what is, or is not, a right; what rights are fundamental; how can rights be affected by duly enacted laws; etc.

One has to get away from the notion that they need to just sit back and have their rights trampled on. Don't sit back and just allow the city to tell you they have the right to zone you right out of your ability to use your land. I can tell you this, they cannot.

So let's get started ...
This an issue which will and is exponentiating.. Impossible Meat. Impossible because it is not meat, but you'll eat it up.

The makers of our Constitution undertook to secure conditions favorable to the pursuit of happiness. They recognized the significance of man's spiritual nature, of his feelings, and of his intellect. They knew that only a part of the pain, pleasure and satisfactions of life are to be found in material things. They sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions and their sensations. They conferred, as against the Government, the right to be let alone the most comprehensive of rights, and the right most valued by civilized men. To protect that right, every unjustifiable intrusion by the Government upon the privacy of the individual, whatever the means employed, must be deemed a violation of the Fourth Amendment. Olmstead v. United States 277 U.S. 438

Thought anyone?? Not sure if anyone is still around that is concerned with this type of a "fight". As I said, I would update with my findings. I am set to go to court on 5/05 but this is what I am doing first!

So, in answer my "chicken ticket" I am sending in an affidavit.

In my affidavit I will include the Legal Maxim:

977. Iniquum est ingenuis hominibus non esse liberam rerum sauarum alienationem. (Coke, LITT. 223. A. ) - It is unjust for freemen not to have the free disposal of their own property.

Supported by Case Law:

“The hallmark of a protected property interest is the right to exclude others. That is ‘one of the most essential sticks in the bundle of rights that are commonly characterized as property.’” College Savings Bank v. Florida Prepaid Postsecondary Ed, Expense Bd., 527 U.S. 666, 673 (1999)(quoting Kaiser Aetna v. United States, 444 U.S. 164,176 (1979) ).

“No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it.” Murdock v. Penn., 319 US 105

“If the state converts a liberty into a privilege, the citizen can engage in the right with impunity.” Shuttlesworth v. Birmingham, 373 US 262

Furthermore I will be challenging jurisdiction:

"If any Tribunal (court) finds absence of proof of jurisdiction over a person and subject matter, the case must be dismissed." Louisville v. Motley 2111 US 149, 29S. CT 42. “The Accuser Bears the Burden of Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt”.

They do not have jurisdiction over a private man/woman.

I will be putting them on notice that if they continue to move against me I will sue for violations of my rights under 18 U.S.C 242 and 18 U.S.C 1983.

Acting under color of [state] law is misuse of power, possessed by virtue of state law and made possible only because the wrongdoer is clothed with the authority of state law Thompson v. Zirkle, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77654 (N.D. Ind. Oct. 17, 2007)

“An unconstitutional act is not law; it confers no rights; imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as it had never been passed.” Norton v. Shelby County.” 118 U.S. 425

“Officers of the court have no immunity, when violating a Constitutional right, from liability. For they are deemed to know the law.” Owen v. Independence, 100 S.C.T. 1398, 445 US 622

“State courts, like federal courts, have a “constitutional obligation” to safeguard personal liberties and to uphold federal law.” Stone v. Powell 428 US 465, 96 S. Ct. 3037, 49 L. Ed. 2d 1067.

My rights do not infringe upon anyone else’s rights So long as I do not aggress against another or another's property, NO ONE should have any say in what I do on my private property. Until I harm someone or someones property, what business is it of theirs what I do within the boundaries of my private property? What gives them the so-called right to dictate how I should live? An American’s rights are not going to vary from place to place. True, honest-to-goodness rights do not impose obligations on others in order for you to exercise them.

**Definition of Maxim and how to use them**
https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/maxim

I think you are SoL and going a long way down a legal ladder that will likely have your arguments viewed as, politely, "fringe".

No matter how much I might be inclined towards the way you wish the law to be, that ship has sailed.

Wickard v Filburn

The State has asserted the Right to control economic activity, even the production of goods or services for one's own use which would allow one to avoid doing commerce with others for that product. The Courts have countenanced same. Defenses otherwise, grounded in the Fourth or the Ninth, have been dismissed. Likewise with the various Sovereign Citizen theories.

That's at the national level.

At the local level, your state holds a general "Police Power" to itself, allowing it (or its lesser included parts, when that power is granted them, like Counties and Municipalities) to legislate and license for "health and safety" reasons, needing only an imaginable rational basis for doing so. The legislation need not be a perfect fit to the asserted policy goals, or a good fit, or even an imperfect fit, and it need not be supported by fact - only an opinion of the government that it will have some beneficial effect in advancing policy.

You might have some support at the State Constitutional level, as there have been some recent developments pushing back on licensing schemes in a few states - but they are few and far between.

Also, you should familiarize yourself with the concept of Usufruct. Your land is not your property. It never was.
Thank you for your thoughts. I am still going to fight it. I am a private national and not subject to the whim of a foreign government that reaches outside the bound of its jurisdiction (speaking of the District of Columbia). Furthermore as a state national I am sovereign and these administrative courts are also reaching outside the bounds of their jurisdiction. As long as you have not harmed anyone else or their property their is no crime and if you have not contracted with the state, city, county, or local government they have no standing to bring suit against you.

Look up allodial title and land patent to undo their usufruct.

Back
Top Bottom