The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm a little confused on the fermenting feed thing...are you talking only grains or also layer pellets? I feed a mix of both. Can I ferment both or just one and if so, which one?

Both! You're mix will be a mealy mix of something resembling mortar with small pebbles in it for texture. For ease of use, you may want to fix a way to drain off your feed before feeding. With the right amount of holes in the bucket, this should only take seconds before the top of the feed mix is ready for scooping.

i actually have an A cup . i am very sensitive to the fact that my man boobs aren't large i have tried everything. i have done the " we must we must we must increase our bust " and still nothing.. i am at my end with them. i have broke down and saw the surgeon for breast augmentation. oh how i long for those perfectly formed boobies..
he said he will do the job in exchange for 2 blue copper marans, 3 welsummers, 6 silkies .2 show girls, all complete with chicken diapers and aprons , also he will do a rhino plasty for 12 freedom rangers and 10 cornish cross.

i told him i would do all but the 6 silkies and 2 show girls. they would have to wait til my DD's are done. i want to hatch them under my new boobies.

i am so excited i can't wait . it is not because of new boobies. i just want to hatch chicks under my boobs. i want to expirence motherhood.

now dang it leave me alone. i just want to eat some ice cream, watch a good movie and cry. if that's okay with you all. i am very emotional right now so please just be nice to me,

what do you all think about a butt lift? i think i am losing my high school figure..

lau.gif
Okay...I just had to run to the bathroom for that one! <sniff!> Oh, Bruce!! I think I will have to run off and watch Steel Magnolias now and cry with you.

So glad you could join us!
smile.png

Today's update on the Raggedy Flock: I'm glad to report that the flock is slowly warming up to my presence. Not as warm as they used to be but still walking towards me now instead of running away. They are consuming the fermented feeds well and I'm noticing more red combs and wattles with a slow color change coming back to beaks and legs.

I've noticed the rooster and the largest hen, Moby Dick II, are still occasionally digging at the lice and mites at their back end. I am currently cooking down a fresh batch of wood ashes to give them a deeper and better application for this. The rest of the flock are not showing any signs of this and are showing noticeable improvement in feather growth...and this only after a week since their arrival.

They have consumed 2 suet cakes and will receive a third one next week. When we kill some deer this fall, all the fat will be carefully trimmed and saved for feeding to chickens and dog this winter. Any meat scraps unfit for our consumption will be ground later and rationed out this winter. I don't normally act this careful about flock nutrition but, then, I've never had a flock in this poor of condition before.

Water with ACV and a sprinkle of epsom salts is still being offered. Only time will tell if the epsoms has helped with the gleet. The next examination of the flock will include combing vent feathers with a large toothed comb and clipping out any gleet clumps. Then a reapplication of NuStock will be applied.

Side Note: The last roost I placed in the coop was a 2x4 with the 4 in. side as the roosting surface. The chickens do not prefer this flat roost at all! They all want to crowd onto the round roosts on either side and only use the flat one for a bridge between the two. My birds have always had round roosts made from large saplings and I think they are spoiled at the comfort of these types of roosts. They definitely conform to the natural curl of the foot more than the square/flat roost. I'll have to put a round roost in its place soon.

You mentioned something about gleet in this post, and I have seen you reference it in other posts in this thread as well, would you please be so kind to explain what gleet is?

Side Note: The last roost I placed in the coop was a 2x4 with the 4 in. side as the roosting surface. The chickens do not prefer this flat roost at all! They all want to crowd onto the round roosts on either side and only use the flat one for a bridge between the two. My birds have always had round roosts made from large saplings and I think they are spoiled at the comfort of these types of roosts. They definitely conform to the natural curl of the foot more than the square/flat roost. I'll have to put a round roost in its place soon.
Well, well... I have always wondered about the 2x4 roost thing... When I look at mine they always seem uncomfortable.

What kind of diameter are we looking at on these sapling/branch roosts?

And...How ever will they warm their feet on cold winter nights if they can't hunker down over them on those flat roosts?
lol.png

So glad you could join us!  :)

Today's update on the Raggedy Flock:  I'm glad to report that the flock is slowly warming up to my presence.  Not as warm as they used to be but still walking towards me now instead of running away.  They are consuming the fermented feeds well and I'm noticing more red combs and wattles with a slow color change coming back to beaks and legs. 

I've noticed the rooster and the largest hen, Moby Dick II, are still occasionally digging at the lice and mites at their back end.  I am currently cooking down a fresh batch of wood ashes to give them a deeper and better application for this.  The rest of the flock are not showing any signs of this and are showing noticeable improvement in feather growth...and this only after a week since their arrival. 

They have consumed 2 suet cakes and will receive a third one next week.  When we kill some deer this fall, all the fat will be carefully trimmed and saved for feeding to chickens and dog this winter.  Any meat scraps unfit for our consumption will be ground later and rationed out this winter.  I don't normally act this careful about flock nutrition but, then, I've never had a flock in this poor of condition before. 

Water with ACV and a sprinkle of epsom salts is still being offered.  Only time will tell if the epsoms has helped with the gleet.  The next examination of the flock will include combing vent feathers with a large toothed comb and clipping out any gleet clumps.  Then a reapplication of NuStock will be applied. 

Side Note:  The last roost I placed in the coop was a 2x4 with the 4 in. side as the roosting surface.  The chickens do not prefer this flat roost at all!  They all want to crowd onto the round roosts on either side and only use the flat one for a bridge between the two.  My birds have always had round roosts made from large saplings and I think they are spoiled at the comfort of these types of roosts.  They definitely conform to the natural curl of the foot more than the square/flat roost.  I'll have to put a round roost in its place soon. 

So glad you could join us!  :)

Today's update on the Raggedy Flock:  I'm glad to report that the flock is slowly warming up to my presence.  Not as warm as they used to be but still walking towards me now instead of running away.  They are consuming the fermented feeds well and I'm noticing more red combs and wattles with a slow color change coming back to beaks and legs. 

I've noticed the rooster and the largest hen, Moby Dick II, are still occasionally digging at the lice and mites at their back end.  I am currently cooking down a fresh batch of wood ashes to give them a deeper and better application for this.  The rest of the flock are not showing any signs of this and are showing noticeable improvement in feather growth...and this only after a week since their arrival. 

They have consumed 2 suet cakes and will receive a third one next week.  When we kill some deer this fall, all the fat will be carefully trimmed and saved for feeding to chickens and dog this winter.  Any meat scraps unfit for our consumption will be ground later and rationed out this winter.  I don't normally act this careful about flock nutrition but, then, I've never had a flock in this poor of condition before. 

Water with ACV and a sprinkle of epsom salts is still being offered.  Only time will tell if the epsoms has helped with the gleet.  The next examination of the flock will include combing vent feathers with a large toothed comb and clipping out any gleet clumps.  Then a reapplication of NuStock will be applied. 

Side Note:  The last roost I placed in the coop was a 2x4 with the 4 in. side as the roosting surface.  The chickens do not prefer this flat roost at all!  They all want to crowd onto the round roosts on either side and only use the flat one for a bridge between the two.  My birds have always had round roosts made from large saplings and I think they are spoiled at the comfort of these types of roosts.  They definitely conform to the natural curl of the foot more than the square/flat roost.  I'll have to put a round roost in its place soon. 

[quote name="Beekissed

[/quote]

About the 2x4 roost poles.... I use the wide side up of the 2x4 up on my roost pole, I just took a 1 1/4" router round over bit to both top edges (3 1/5" board width minus 1 1/4" x 2 leaves only a 1" flat surface, but is broad enough to allow them to cover their feet with feathers for cold protection). They use this over the 3" muscadine vine right next to it; I guess because it is smother??? Maybe my chickens are just weird.

You mentioned something about gleet in this post, and I have seen you reference it in other posts in this thread as well, would you please be so kind to explain what gleet is?

Well, well... I have always wondered about the 2x4 roost thing... When I look at mine they always seem uncomfortable.

What kind of diameter are we looking at on these sapling/branch roosts?

And...How ever will they warm their feet on cold winter nights if they can't hunker down over them on those flat roosts?
lol.png

Yes!
lol.png
However will they manage?? I don't know the exact diameter of the sapling but they are about as big around as the thickest part of my forearm...and I'm a stout lady.

Last edited:
LOL. Honestly, I'm not convinced it even matters on the 2x4. I'm sure a 4" diameter something that isn't slick is fine. But a flat 3 1/2 inch surface? Well by putting one that way you're going to guarantee that it will sag. So hardheaded me has the 2x4 on edge. And you know, their feet are still covered when they sit down on it. Comfort? So far I've yet to hear a complaint. :p

I think it all depends on what they are used to. Mine are used to the fat, round roosts and so do not seem to prefer the flat, wide roost of the 2x4. If they were previously used to the flat roosts, they may feel unsure of the round roosts. From pics I have seen, most folks do not make their round roosts thick enough, sometimes even using dowel rods! It might look like a bird's perch, in proportion, but they need to realize that chickens are clumsy birds and have to balance a heavy body on that "perch"....not comfortable for sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom