The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks fishnet...spent the morning googling chickens and their anatomy lol I have the general parts down but I thought chickens would have a different hole for egg laying. You learn something new every day :)

Thank you, Fishnet! I tried and tried to copy that off my source and could not get it to happen.....great drawing of the anatomy.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks fishnet...spent the morning googling chickens and their anatomy lol I have the general parts down but I thought chickens would have a different hole for egg laying. You learn something new every day :)

You would not believe the sheer number of folks who think that....even old folks. Of course, I've met folks that think that women don't have separate holes for vagina and urethra either.

You would not believe the sheer number of folks who think that....even old folks. Of course, I've met folks that think that women don't have separate holes for vagina and urethra either.
No I can believe it. I work in EMS and it amazes me daily what people dont know about themselves. I prefer to learn new things and have a general knowledge about the animals I raise. I have to say it was interesting to check out the hen last night. She was not impressed but by the time I get done inspecting them all at least I will have a starting point of how they do/should look so I can hopefully catch a difference in their manner or appearance & nip whatever they have in the butt quick.

I do have a question tho that I cant seem to figure out from pics I have seen. Will the feathers on their behind (above, around & below) vent area always be those soft downy feather? She has just started getting tail feathers (they fanned out pretty when I turned her over last night) and my guess is that these soft down feathers will turn into regular feathers as she grows more? I dont know notice them when she is right side up they all looked like regular feathers. I was trying to see if I could tell from the pics you posted Bee but with the gleet its hard to tell.
Also she had a small bare spot above the vent area. No redness or swelling. Just smoothe pink healthy skin. I am guessing its either from her pruning and getting her regular feathers in?

That is all normal!
smile.png
Hence folks referring to their chickens as fluffy butts...nice, soft baby feathers under the tail feathers. That bare spot is nothing...most mature hens have a little bare skin there if the feathers are distended.

We were debating putting some Vagisil in this hen but I think I will do the same thing with the NuStock, since I have it on hand and I don't have the other. I know it's not as gentle as Vagisil/monostat but I have it on hand and NuStock doesn't have a menthol type irritation to the tissues, so I'm going to give it a try.

Yeast infections are tough to clear up if they are long standing and dug in there. Funny thing is, this hen looks the healthiest on her topside than all the other Australorp birds and mixes. She has a beautiful, healthy sheen to her feathers, is fully feathered except where I trimmed away from her vent and has a bright, inquisitive eye and manner. She's also laying on occasion, which is more than I can say for the rest of this flock.

I think this next treatment will be the turning point in this bird's recovery...just need to get the right application in the right place.

I was wondering if you've ever used Lotrimin cream for yeast and fungal problems. I've had good luck using it when stuff the Dr. gave me wouldn't work. I've also used it on my children when they were babies to clear up yeast diaper rash. It works on different type yeast infections than the Monostat so it may be that it's not the right stuff for gleet but thought I'd just throw that out there in case you were ever looking for another option.

Thanks for your help Bee! I'm looking for some NuStock tonight at TSC and my local feed store. Hopefully I can report back next week on a successful flea eradication!

I was wondering if you've ever used Lotrimin cream for yeast and fungal problems. I've had good luck using it when stuff the Dr. gave me wouldn't work. I've also used it on my children when they were babies to clear up yeast diaper rash. It works on different type yeast infections than the Monostat so it may be that it's not the right stuff for gleet but thought I'd just throw that out there in case you were ever looking for another option.

Monostat, Vagisil and Lotrimin are all in the miconazole family of antifungals....they all work on Candida Albicans~supposedly the yeast that causes this thrush.

If I had it on hand, I'd definitely use any or all of these preparations!
thumbsup.gif

What I plan to do is mix this NS with bag balm to make it more adherent and longer lasting against the skin surface and also place some of the NS inside the vent as well. I wish I had some Lotrimin or such hanging around but can't remember the last time I had a yeasty, so none on hand. And...man, doesn't the price of such things go up since the last time you had to buy them....
th.gif

I sure do wish I'd paid more attention to my grandaddy. My oldest son got thrush (granny called it trench mouth" when he was a couple of weeks old. After multiple trips to the doctor, and multiple medications, his mouth got so sore he couldn't drink his bottle. We went to my mom's house and she took him from me and got in the car. "Come on,' she said, "we're going to see your grandaddy."

Grandaddy took a look in his mouth, went down in the swamp. A few minutes later, he came to the house with some sort of root and boiled it for ten minutes. He poured the "tea" in a pint sized mason jar and told me to swab his mouth out three times a day. "Don't let him swallow any," he said, "too much of it will kill ya."

As scarey as that was, I swabbed the baby's mouth. He was able to drink his bottle within 2 hours of the first swabbing, and in less than 3 days, the "trench mouth" was gone.

Sorry, Bee. If I'd gone with him to the swamp, I might have known what kind of plant the root came from. That might be just the thing your poor hen needs.

On the other hand, though if anyone can beat the gleet, BeeKissed can!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom