The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic, sorry but I did crack up laughing thinking about what pictures you will find on the web for vents,,, don't worry I may know what a vent is but i admit I don't know half of the other terms used in this thread. See earlier post on what is BOSS..

I am really wanting to do the fermented feed but have no idea where to get apple cider vinegar in Darwin Australia...

Classic, sorry but I did crack up laughing thinking about what pictures you will find on the web for vents,,, don't worry I may know what a vent is but i admit I don't know half of the other terms used in this thread. See earlier post on what is BOSS..
I am really wanting to do the fermented feed but have no idea where to get apple cider vinegar in Darwin Australia...

i found it at my local feedstore in nsw (in the horse supplement section )4 lts for $30.lots of race hose ppl use it

They do...and you'd be surprised as to one of the reasons. Supposed to cause more female offspring. This worked while we had meat rabbits and I've read about it working for sheep farmers....worked on my broody hatches as well.

bee, it's called a vent because it's where the bombs come from...
lau.gif

The vent is just the anal opening...fancy word for butt-hole. I think they call it that instead of this because it also is known as the cloaca~it's not simply an anal opening but also a vaginal opening as well.
Thanks Bee.....still going to search google for some pics. I do have to say that the hens are noisy when I check in on them at night but the hen I picked up & looked at styed on the roost I put her on all night. They wont use the new ones I put in over a month ago so I put her on one of those when I put her back. She was still there this morning before I left for work. Think tonight I will check another hen & try the same theory. They all usually sit on one roost and its going to be crowded when they get bigger. But at least they will be warm.

I'll be working on the grody hen late tonight and will try to get pics of her horrible, gleet laden vent at that time. Will try to do a before and after the gleet residue is removed...it won't be pretty.
sickbyc.gif

While I have the camera out, I'll try to get a pic of a normal vent...if that can be found in this flock of mine.

hey Bee, Dont know if i mentioned this before, but my vet had given me some liquid anti fungal to use on my cats ears for an ear fungus. He told me that I could use if for a yeast infection in the chickens or anywhere i had a fungal or yeast problem. I did use the stuff for gleet on one of my hens last year to clear it up. It was not SUPER bad, but the infection was bad enough she had the lovely smell and white crusty discharge around her vent. i put it in a syringe and when she was roosted for the night i just plunged it into her back side. Took me three days with it and MAN did it work great!

Just a FYI.
idunno.gif

We were debating putting some Vagisil in this hen but I think I will do the same thing with the NuStock, since I have it on hand and I don't have the other. I know it's not as gentle as Vagisil/monostat but I have it on hand and NuStock doesn't have a menthol type irritation to the tissues, so I'm going to give it a try.

Yeast infections are tough to clear up if they are long standing and dug in there. Funny thing is, this hen looks the healthiest on her topside than all the other Australorp birds and mixes. She has a beautiful, healthy sheen to her feathers, is fully feathered except where I trimmed away from her vent and has a bright, inquisitive eye and manner. She's also laying on occasion, which is more than I can say for the rest of this flock.

I think this next treatment will be the turning point in this bird's recovery...just need to get the right application in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom