The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else want to chime in on why you got your birds and why you chose the breeds you got? I'll try to work on it tomorrow to get some of these answers consolidated and see if I can come up with some advice on what breeds I think will be suitable...though there are many, many suitable breeds for any given purpose but I can give you some info about the breeds I have had and why.

We initially became interested in having 'Backyard Chickens,' because we have a lovely garden, including many herbs, and many snails and slugs. We have used food grade pellets/liquids that are safe for our small children and dog, but they are costly, and must be reapplied after watering/rain. I read that chickens are wonderful at eating these pests, and knew that chicken fertilizer is excellent for the garden. My husband worked for many years in our local strawberry farms, and they used chicken fertilizer. I suggested to my DH that we try it, and he thought it would be a great idea. When my children overheard the discussion, they couldn't wait to get the chicks. Our local feed store had only two breeds of chicks, RIR hens, and something else that was straight run. Our city allows only hens, so RIR's it was. Another example of God's provision, now that I know a little more about hens, I am pleased to have our RIR's!

Now that we have the hens, we are eagerly awaiting eggs, and have read about the nutritive value/taste of these free ranged eggs v commercial eggs. Being such absolute and complete newbies, we are still learning about what works best with our chickies, and what doesn't work so well. They love the FF, and ACV in the water; we love the DL. We realized that our coop needed a roof (other than the chicken wire) when we had our rare week of So. Cal. rain. Thankfully, my loving husband enjoys wood working, and having a project during this past summer and now, during the holiday time, is a huge blessing (oh dear, here comes the misty moment). My beloved FIL passed away this past August. He had a long, 5 year battle with cancer, and the last month was....horrible, as a last month of cancer can be. His passing was difficult, and we, and my MIL continue to mourn his loss. Having the new project, researching, working, and new chores for the kids, have been a great distraction to us all. There you go, why we got our birds, and why we chose the breed we have!

Just one little thought, BDM~
In order for the circle to be complete, we have to be as good at receiving, as we are at giving.

This was a hard one for me. Ever since I could form words, and realized the world was not my friend (I'm gonna guess about 3) my motto has been "I'll do it, myself!"
But I always had a heart for giving. I would give my new, cool thing away in HS if I thought the person who needed it, needed it more than I did.
I was not, however good at receiving. This short-circuited my ability to bless the givers by receiving what they offered. Then they get their needs met, and so on...
Once I realized that they needed to get blessed by giving, too, I employed this as part of a balanced life.
Now, people give me fridges and stuff.
Just throwing that out there.

I was exactly that same way. When you grow up poor..but proud...you get very sensitive to what one would call "charity". Gets to be a big chip on yer shoulder because people don't understand that what you have may seem like only a little but it's sufficient and that is all poor folk really want. Just want to be able to make it through the day, or a month without being late on a bill. We don't like to accept help or gifts because we don't want people to assume we need them or to even know that we may need something...it's embarrassing to be thought of as someone too poor to help themselves and feed their children.

At least that's me...don't know about y'all. We were raised poor and proud, no dirty kids allowed, had to make straight "A"s in school in case anyone thought we were poor and stupid. Poor is okay as long as no one also categorized one with the usual stereotypes that go along with it. Just one of those ingrained chips on the shoulder thing. Hard to get it off of there.

But...God really knocked my proud down a notch or two along the way and MADE me take gifts from others and put me in situations where they were given to me and I could not refuse without being churlish and rude. He not only did this a few times but He did it over and over until I learned how to smile, thank someone and tell them how wonderful their gift was and how it would help my family.

Eventually I learned that blessings run both ways and letting someone receive one is a gift for both of us...they get to feel the blessing of giving and I get to feel God's love through them and it's a powerful wave of love, that is. Even better than being the giver, had I only known. It's way more humbling to receive but it is also closer to where God wants us to be. Humble and thankful for gifts we didn't earn takes us one step closer to being thankful for the supreme Gift we never earned and accepting it with a humbled and grateful heart.

Took me a long time to learn that one. Got it now. Still can't take a compliment, though...that one is still very, very difficult.

Last edited:
OK Bee I made my 1st ff 3 days ago & my 5 dirty butted WR hens are gobbling it up :) My question: can the ff be made too soupy? It seems like it's making too much completely wet soup? I'm using the Purina Layena pellets that I'm feeding + a little bit of scratch added to the mixture with the 1/4 C ACV. :idunno They are eating it up like crazy

Took me a long time to learn that one. Got it now. Still can't take a compliment, though...that one is still very, very difficult.
As for taking a compliment...still pretty weak.
I'll work on that.
hide.gif

Anyone else want to chime in on why you got your birds and why you chose the breeds you got? I'll try to work on it tomorrow to get some of these answers consolidated and see if I can come up with some advice on what breeds I think will be suitable...though there are many, many suitable breeds for any given purpose but I can give you some info about the breeds I have had and why. 

We initially became interested in having 'Backyard Chickens,' because we have a lovely garden, including many herbs, and many snails and slugs. We have used food grade pellets/liquids that are safe for our small children and dog, but they are costly, and must be reapplied after watering/rain.  I read that chickens are wonderful at eating these pests, and knew that chicken fertilizer is excellent for the garden. My husband worked for many years in our local strawberry farms, and they used chicken fertilizer.  I suggested to my DH that we try it, and he thought it would be a great idea.  When my children overheard the discussion, they couldn't wait to get the chicks.  Our local feed store had only two breeds of chicks, RIR hens, and something else that was straight run.  Our city allows only hens, so RIR's it was.  Another example of God's provision, now that I know a little more about hens, I am pleased to have our RIR's!

Now that we have the hens, we are eagerly awaiting eggs, and have read about the nutritive value/taste of these free ranged eggs v commercial eggs.  Being such absolute and complete newbies, we are still learning about what works best with our chickies, and what doesn't work so well.  They love the FF, and ACV in the water; we love the DL. We realized that our coop needed a roof (other than the chicken wire) when we had our rare week of So. Cal. rain. Thankfully, my loving husband enjoys wood working, and having a project during this past summer and now, during the holiday time, is a huge blessing (oh dear, here comes the misty moment). My beloved FIL passed away this past August. He had a long, 5 year battle with cancer, and the last month was....horrible, as a last month of cancer can be.  His passing was difficult, and we, and my MIL continue to mourn his loss.  Having the new project, researching, working, and new chores for the kids, have been a great distraction to us all.  There you go, why we got our birds, and why we chose the breed we have!

I was raised with chickens but for some reason even having plenty of acreage we didn't get chickens until 3 years ago & that was by accident. An American Game hen was laying eggs in one of our horse stalls at the race track so when she started setting on them we made a pen around her so nothing could kill her, after they hatched we brought her & the chicks home. We still have 6 hens from the original chicks she hatched + many more from a couple of other AG hens we snagged at the track that were also setting on eggs & a few young pullets that we caught at night when they were roosting on the stall walls. I got them for the eggs + I now have a few regular customers that I sell eggs too. We use the chicken manure in our garden. We grow as much of our own food as possible (I'm really into organic food). We also have Painted Desert sheep that we put 1 in the freezer every year. We got these WR's & have 4 Wyandottes that we want to eventually raise chicks from to put in the freezer. Thats my story & I'm sticking to it :ya

OK Bee I made my 1st ff 3 days ago & my 5 dirty butted WR hens are gobbling it up
smile.png
My question: can the ff be made too soupy? It seems like it's making too much completely wet soup? I'm using the Purina Layena pellets that I'm feeding + a little bit of scratch added to the mixture with the 1/4 C ACV.
idunno.gif
They are eating it up like crazy

Yep, need to adjust your fluids. You'll get the hang of it. When feeding the pelleted foods you'll probably have to make it to a porridge/mortar/peanut butter consistency. It's a common fallacy going around about the FF that you have to keep it submersed in the fluid in order for it to become fermented. Just need to fill to the level or a little above when you add fresh pellets and the feed will absorb the excess fluids. Just keep it stirred each day when you feed and it will do well.

I was just doing this and thinking that it was much like adding milk to a bowel of cereal...about that much seems to do the trick. When you can still see a good bit of the cereal standing up above the milk but it's not swimming~that's the best cereal and it makes it easier to stir in the sugar, huh?
big_smile.png

Yep, need to adjust your fluids. You'll get the hang of it. When feeding the pelleted foods you'll probably have to make it to a porridge/mortar/peanut butter consistency. It's a common fallacy going around about the FF that you have to keep it submersed in the fluid in order for it to become fermented. Just need to fill to the level or a little above when you add fresh pellets and the feed will absorb the excess fluids. Just keep it stirred each day when you feed and it will do well.

I was just doing this and thinking that it was much like adding milk to a bowel of cereal...about that much seems to do the trick. When you can still see a good bit of the cereal standing up above the milk but it's not swimming~that's the best cereal and it makes it easier to stir in the sugar, huh?
big_smile.png

Hey Bee! My cultures are strong.....smells like I'm fermenting sauerkraut! It poots too like the posts I was reading in the meat chickens thread on fermented feed.......
gig.gif

OK Bee I made my 1st ff 3 days ago

Yep, need to adjust your fluids.  You'll get the hang of it.  When feeding the pelleted foods you'll probably have to make it to a porridge/mortar/peanut butter consistency.  It's a common fallacy going around about the FF that you have to keep it submersed in the fluid in order for it to become fermented.  Just need to fill to the level or a little above when you add fresh pellets and the feed will absorb the excess fluids. Just keep it stirred each day when you feed and it will do well. 

I was just doing this and thinking that it was much like adding milk to a bowel of cereal...about that much seems to do the trick.  When you can still see a good bit of the cereal standing up above the milk but it's not swimming~that's the best cereal and it makes it easier to stir in the sugar, huh?  :D
Is the "sour" smell normal? I don't mind it but my husband hates the smell in the office now ;) and can I add a lot more to adjust the soupiness & it will "keep"?

Sorry, Stony...didn't see this part. No calf manna. The ACV is fine but they are getting the proper electrolytes if you are using the FF. Just let them be and let them get over it. They'll be fine in this cold weather.

Hope you catch your mink...they sure are pretty. Stink though.
I didn't buy the calf manna. My local Blue Seal only had 50 lb bags. I don't do FF. Although I may just start some for just them to help them recover. They really didn't eat today. Drank a little.

I opened the hole back up in their coop. Put 2 traps baited with duck innards right inside the door so if it goes back in tonight it has to go right in a trap. My trapping buddy said that was the best way to go about it.
For the time being they are in my work shop in a dog crate. I'll turn the heat lamps off shortly once I am sure they are completely dry.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom