The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up we raised rabbits and us kids were the ones that had to feed and water them. Dad did the butchering. I had ducks when I was in my teens...they were wiped out by coons. Fast Forward to 2009, I did my research on chickens and I wanted brown egg layers. In the Spring of 2010 I ordered Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds and Delawares from the local feed store. Picked up three EE chicks while at the store...which turned out to be all roosters. The 10X12 coop was finished in April 2010. After finding BYC, I picked up a trio of Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana's from Pips&Peeps. Then I started incubating and attending swaps. We got a POL BSL at one of the swaps and she was the only girl laying all winter long!

I currently have a mixed flock of EE's, Orps, BRs, NHRs, Wyandottes, Ameraucana's, Salmon Favs. I have Buckeyes that are in their own coop. The coop for the Ameraucana's will be completed this spring. Have been looking at getting more Rocks, but have to cull some girls and make room before that happens.

We do sell our eggs, mainly to acquaintances and co-workers. They all love the blue and green eggs.

I'm not exactly sure what my reasons were for getting chickens, but I really felt like this was something that I wanted to do. My wife was totally against it but has now fallen in love with all the girls. She's the one that has the problem with culling even though she grew up in the country with cattle and horses. We have four ankle biters (Shi Tzu/Poodle mixes) and two outside cats.

Originally Posted by Beekissed

Anyone else want to chime in on why you got your birds and why you chose the breeds you got? I'll try to work on it tomorrow to get some of these answers consolidated and see if I can come up with some advice on what breeds I think will be suitable...though there are many, many suitable breeds for any given purpose but I can give you some info about the breeds I have had and why

Bee....I want to answer really bad! Maybe before I go to bed.....Geesh, I feel like the poor woman ya'll beat up so bad about why she couldn't feed FF....I really am trying, but Atlanta life is fast and tiring......I would much rather be tired from doing what ya'll do.....Just want you all to know....I'm so envious of your lives.....I know it has been hard....but a tighter group of ladies and their love I have never seen and I want that so bad! Be back soon I hope.......I get up at 4:15 every morning......and fall in bed probably about 9:00.....Be back.....ya'll are So Blessed The Right Way.......I want to feel that!

Anyone else want to chime in on why you got your birds and why you chose the breeds you got? I'll try to work on it tomorrow to get some of these answers consolidated and see if I can come up with some advice on what breeds I think will be suitable...though there are many, many suitable breeds for any given purpose but I can give you some info about the breeds I have had and why

Bee....I want to answer really bad! Maybe before I go to bed.....Geesh, I feel like the poor woman ya'll beat up so bad about why she couldn't feed FF....I really am trying, but Atlanta life is fast and tiring......I would much rather be tired from doing what ya'll do.....Just want you all to know....I'm so envious of your lives.....I know it has been hard....but a tighter group of ladies and their love I have never seen and I want that so bad! Be back soon I hope.......I get up at 4:15 every morning......and fall in bed probably about 9:00.....Be back.....ya'll are So Blessed The Right Way.......I want to feel that!
Susan, you are already blessed...the right way!

hugs.gif

Quote:
lol.png
This one made me laugh right out loud! I've never had green chile honey roasted pecans in my life and I would LOVE to try them....
droolin.gif
And, anyway, I can't refuse after just posting about how I'm learning to just take a gift with grace so that I don't spoil a blessing for the giver. (At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
wink.png
I really would love to try those pecans! My fave nut, BTW...well, besides Al...don't tell him I said that
big_smile.png
. )

I will PM that address and humbly accept your very generous and thoughtful gift but I must confess that it is I who thank you all....you really picked me up when I was not knowing what to do with myself and you gave me a place to meet good friends and help someone. And that is priceless.
hugs.gif

love.gif

:lol:   This one made me laugh right out loud!  I've never had green chile honey roasted pecans in my life and I would LOVE to try them....  :drool    And, anyway, I can't refuse after just posting about how I'm learning to just take a gift with grace so that I don't spoil a blessing for the giver.  (At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  ;)   I really would love to try those pecans! My fave nut, BTW...well, besides Al...don't tell him I said that  :D . ) 

I will PM that address and humbly accept your very generous and thoughtful gift but I must confess that it is I who thank you all....you really picked me up when I was not knowing what to do with myself and you gave me a place to meet good friends and help someone.  And that is priceless.  :hugs
:thumbsup

I bet they will be wonderful!

41QA4PZTWXL._SX450_.jpg
Had to share my most recent thrift store find!! Just found this at my local Rescue Mission Thrift Store for $6!! So happy! It's $45 on Amazon. I have just recently begun to bake sourdough bread and have read so many recipes that state to put dough in a cast iron dutch oven or brick cloche...as I don't have one, I've just been putting the bread on a cookie sheet....
Starting today, I'll be baking in this!
wee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom