The roo is history

CarolAnn

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
Kansas
One of the pullet chicks I raised from a day old (got em in late April) turned out to be a roo. Very nice, very calm until a couple weeks ago he started following my 9 yr old granddaughter around the yard. One day he jumped at her and clawed down her legs, scaring her but leaving no marks. After that she only went to the chicken house and run when I was with her. Then one day when they'd been let out to run in the evening she went into the run to close a gate for me and he followed her in. I heard a blood curdling scream and he had her backed against the fence and was jumping and flapping his wings at her. I swung at him with the dustpan in my hand and he didn't back down so I kicked him back about three feet. He came at me again and I kicked him clear out of the run. Before my girls came over the next time I called a friend and asked if he'd come get him. He agreed to come in a while but as soon as I told him the roo was terrifying Madison he said he'd be right over. He was here in 15 min and I already had the roo in a pet carrier. Man, I hated having to do that knowing he'd be killed, but I won't have a bird that is going to be aggressive like that. My granddaughters, especially Maddy, have been involved in this chicken thing from day one and they HAVE to be free/safe to go out to the chickens when they want to. I expect he made a very tasty meal.

Note: Hubby said what my roo did is called flogging, and once they start they won't stop. It's also not unusual for them the single out an individual. My beautiful black australorp.

Mine's gone in the Spring as well. As soon as the farm is processing chickens again, he's heading up there. Only difference here is, I'm taking him back and we'll have a nice chicken dinner. I just don't want a rooster around. Our yard is small, and I want all the birds I have to be layers. And the neighbor's young son loves the chickens, so I want him to be able to visit them, too.

Don't know if this will help. I have 3 roosters. One day my rosecomb rooster was sweetly following me while I was chasing the goats back to where they belonged. He was kind of yelling at the goats. I laughed. Then a few minutes later the turd went after my leg. I got me a switch and busted his butt. Got him in his run and chased him around for literally 5 minutes. When I caught him I held him until he calmed down and let me pet him. He tried 1 or 2 more times and I popped his butt. Now we get along great. The other 2 roosters RIR's have tried but I had heard that if you back down they think they have won. They have gone after my husband and 2 kids. But they put them in their place. Maybe you can help your granddaughter through this by being with her and making him back down. If that don't work than good riddance. Just trying to help. Hope it does. Good luck with whatever you do.

Just curious, how old was the roo? I raised all my guys from week one and treated them like pets, not livestock like other people tend to do...i am just hoping with all my heart that they don't switch attitude on me. So far, they have never copped one or tryed to peck me...i can scoop any of them up in my arms without them fighting me.

I will always fondly remember my big brother saving me from a violent flogging when I was about 9 years old. The rooster had been going for me fairly regularly and I had always been able to evade and avoid but he cornered me and I was already bloody when big brother swooped in, kicked the rooster several feet away, picked me up and sent me inside for first aid.. it was the last time I saw that rooster. I did't know what had happened to him but I discovered a pile of feathers a few days later... I was NOT sad.

Quote:
He's been gone for almost a week now. I stuck to him like glue (with Madison at my side) after the first couple incidents and he eased up for a while. But the last time, when he followed her into the run and had her cornered that was it. He had to go. I have a cochin roo too so I'll still have the crowing I love to hear and he's not a threat to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom