The rooster must go!

The gentleman was entirely right you cannot sex silkies at an early age, some not for4-5 mos.old or when they lay or crow.

The coop is really high up - doesn't bother birds but, I don't like heights and couldn't roost there.
lau.gif

Very interesting coop .- Poultry wire will not keep predators out - it only keeps chickens in. Please replace all chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth - it does cost more but, it offers much greater protection and will hold up a lot longer than flimsy chicken wire. Especially use it to back the window - predators are always looking for the easiest places to break in.
If it is too difficult they will go to the next chicken neighbor.

Oh yes, welcome to Backyard chickens.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Beautiful coop/run setup. Good luck rehoming your roo.

Thanks drumstick diva,

Yeah, I'm aware of the predator/chicken wire issue. We don't get anything other than cats around here. No skunks or coons with all the houses and such on the nearby blocks. Too urban for them. My dog keeps cats away as well as other dogs. She also protects the flock.

The only real threat, albeit slight, is a Falcon in the hood. But he's too small to even grab the silkies. There are a couple barn owls, but the girls are safe asleep by then.

Having the coop up also helps with predators and makes cleaning it a breeze. So far, I find that the higher the roost, the happier the chicken. They love being as high as they can get, makes them feel safe and secure.

If anything, I'd use the money to buy a full netting set up before I'd add hardware cloth to the coop. In my yard, death comes from above. There's one good reason to keep the rooster, an early alarm system that will fight to the death should the Falcon grow bold.

Welcome to BYC!

Unwanted roosters and uncooperative laws are a very common issue among chicken owners and are a price people pay for trying to raise hatchlings.

Hello all,

I've made the decision to sell the rooster. Here's my next question, how much do I ask for? He's a Red Silkie with Partridge mixed in a few lines up. Would I do better selling a male and female as a breeding pair? Here are some photos and thanks in advance for your help!

HI James,
We are in San Diego (near La Mesa) and having a rooster issue too. I hope you found a place for your guy! Good luck!

Hi Ginger,

Unfortunately, my rooster had to meet an unpleasant end. I couldn't give him away. It was hard for me to do, but it's part of animal husbandry so I couldn't put it off anymore. It took a few days to get over it emotionally. I'm not a fan of killing. Best of luck with yours. I found out after the fact that there is a local rescue place that will take him, so long as you say you found it instead of owned it.

Yours,
James

Back
Top Bottom