The rooster must go!

James Gielow

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Hello all,

My name is James and I'm living in San Diego California. I recently built a chicken paradise in my yard and am loving the new additions to my family. Everything is going smoothly thanks to the advice I've gleaned off of this site and my girls are happy and active and adorable.

Here's the rub, I got 3 silkies last spring and the gentleman who sold them informed me that they are very difficult if not impossible to sex when they're babies. That said, I now have one male silkie and he is getting very vocal.

I live in the city of San Diego and I'm not supposed to have any roosters on my relatively small lot. There are many in the neighborhood which I hear from time to time, but I don't want to be the guy that breaks the rules and makes chicken owners seem like inconsiderate jerks.

So, here I am not sure what to do about the situation. I know that there is an obvious and final solution to this issue, but I can't bring myself to do it. I raised him up with love and could never bring myself to hurt him in any ways. What are my options? I've seen roosters on craigslist that they can't seem to give away for months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yours,
James

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry one of your babies turned into a rooster! It happens. Silkies are pretty easy to rehome. You might start in your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors to see if someone nearby might take him....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/161/california-southern (there is also a northern and an entire CA state threads. )

When you have 20 posts, you can place an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section in hopes of placing him there....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

You might also put up fliers in your nearby feed stores. Many times they have a board you can post such things.

There is a new gadget out called a "no crow rooster collar". It doesn't make them stop crowing, but reduces the volume of the crow...http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-p1580.aspx

Well, I hope if you can't keep him, you can find him a nice forever home. Good luck with your baby. :)

Hi Ginger,

Unfortunately, my rooster had to meet an unpleasant end. I couldn't give him away. It was hard for me to do, but it's part of animal husbandry so I couldn't put it off anymore. It took a few days to get over it emotionally. I'm not a fan of killing. Best of luck with yours. I found out after the fact that there is a local rescue place that will take him, so long as you say you found it instead of owned it.

Yours,
James

Welcome to BYC, James. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would go ahead and post on Craigslist anyway. I think you might find your Sillkie, being a cuter and more exotic breed is an exception as roosters go. Also, you can check with feed stores in your area and see if they know of anyone who might want him. They might even have a bulletin board you can advertise him on. Also, you can check with the 4h clubs in our area. One of the students in 4h might want him. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in re-homing your rooster.

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice and warm welcomes! I may try to collar in the interim while searching for a new home. His 2 silkies girlfriends will be devastated, but they can have an all girl slumber party afterwards.

I also have a Rhode Island red, and easter egger and a blue polish.

Here's the coop I designed in SketchUp

and then in real life...

What a neat looking set up. Sorry about your rooster dilemma. Since there are others already in the neighborhood maybe nobody will complain about yours.

Back
Top Bottom