The rooster rules the roost

RIredlady

Chirping
Jun 1, 2016
Rhode Island
So we’ve currently got 9 hens 1 roo and 5 chicks. I don’t cuddle or coddle them. They are allowed to free range and the rooster does great keeping the flock safe.

Recently the rooster decided that anything/one not chicken was definitely out to get him so he has gone from regular jerk rooster to total butt sneaking up and attacking.

I feel he does great keeping the girls safe so I am trying to rationalize not culling him after I’d been cornered and attacked while feeding them. I know most say to stand your ground with them to assert dominance, however I kicked this guy so hard he backflipped and he still came back for more.

anyone know how to establish yourself in the pecking order as “no I don’t want your hens here’s food don’t bother me” way? Any input is appreciated.

Flockincrazy

Crowing
May 23, 2020
Elyria, Ohio
So we’ve currently got 9 hens 1 roo and 5 chicks. I don’t cuddle or coddle them. They are allowed to free range and the rooster does great keeping the flock safe.

Recently the rooster decided that anything/one not chicken was definitely out to get him so he has gone from regular jerk rooster to total dickhead sneaking up and attacking.

I feel he does great keeping the girls safe so I am trying to rationalize not culling him after I’d been cornered and attacked while feeding them. I know most say to stand your ground with them to assert dominance, however I kicked this guy so hard he backflipped and he still came back for more.

anyone know how to establish yourself in the pecking order as “no I don’t want your hens here’s food don’t bother me” way? Any input is appreciated.
I used a spray bottle to correct bad behavior with my roosters

Top Bottom