1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The roosters laid ANOTHER egg! EDIT!! Duck egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moenmitz, Oct 3, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Ok, so the turken hen that snuck in their was removed yesterday...yet today I find another egg!!! I swear these guys all have saddle feathers....well obviously NOT...but I THOUGHT they did!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] LOL, its always great to have rooster that lays eggs !!!!

Post a few pics maybe we can help you find your rooster/hen

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg from a rooster [​IMG]
    I'm still patiently waiting for an egg from my three roosters.

4. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Yes, I have special birds.....

DH and I just went out and examined all 24 roosters, one by one. We are no closer to knowing who is a hen. There IS one other possibility..I consider it remote, but since the boys really look like boys.....I have a pair of 5.5 month old Pekin ducks sharing the pen-I assumed it was a chicken egg, because it is rather smallish, and wouldn't a duck egg be huge? But, perhaps I should ask if maybe Pekin eggs are small when they first start laying? Now, the two I found yesterday were more of a very light pinkish brown-but this one today was white. White white. The large one yesterday was a double yolker, the other egg was smallish. All of my birds are supposed to be brown egg layers.....I have barred rocks, turkens, buff rocks, wyandottes, speckled sussex, white giants & partridge rocks in the rooster pen. Do any of the brown layers start with lighter colored eggs?

Also, the shell was REALLY thick- DH thought it was too thin at first, as the pink color made it appear almost translucent. But I had to whack it several times on the frying pan to crack it open-had a very solid thick membrane inside. Also, white was very thick, very clear (and I thought fresh eggs had a cloudy white! No0 chance these were not very fresh!) Anyway, including these details in case it points more in a duckish direction....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by