The Routine Nazi...

dainerra

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I know that there are others here who own GSDs. So I thought I'd try for some sympathy. The rest of you can just enjoy a good laugh lol

Singe is a very "German" German Shepherd. He thrives and order and routine and, apparently, thinks the rest of the family should as well. For example:

mornings. I get up around 5.15 to get ready for work. Leave at 6.15. At 5.10 Singe is sitting beside the bed. At 5.15, he will nudge the bed. At 6.10, he goes and sits by the front door, even though he hasn't gone to work with me since May. At 6.15, he will come get me if I am not on the way out the door. The upside, I don't have to watch the clock and NEVER have to worry about being late from work. The downside? I don't have to work today.

I can tell him to go lay down. And he will. He will lay down beside the bed and be very quiet. Except he stares. I can feel him staring at me. I put him out of the bedroom. He lays in the hallway and stares at the door. I've had Ronnie take him into the living room and feed the dogs their breakfast. I texted him "what is he doing" "staring at the bedroom wall" And it's a very intense stare, the kind that burns a hole through the drywall. I had him take the dogs out to play. He texted me a few minutes later "He's staring at the bedroom window" I've stayed in bed late, just to make a point. Singe stared at the wall until 7.30 when I got up. So, it's not food related, not potty time related, not "I'm bored and want to go play" related. It's 100% "hey, you are supposed to be out of bed by now"

Doing the chores. Singe has decided that the order to feed the outside animals should be: open chickens, feed bunnies, fill water bowls. Why this order, I have no idea. 1 it's the exact opposite of how I do things most of the time, but then again I usually do things in the order I happen to be going that day. And it doesn't matter if it is someone else doing the work. Singe is right there to supervise and insist that it be done "properly"

Leaving the group. Don't even get me started on this. I first thought it was normal "oh Mommy don't leave me" when we started training for the supervised separation. Nope. It's if ANYONE leaves the group. He went with us this weekend when Allie was selling Girl Scout candy. I always take one of the dogs with me. I wait in the driveway while Allie goes up to the door. I thought that his brain was going to explode. He whined. He tried to get in front of her to stop her from leaving. I corrected him and he sat and watched her walk to the door. Then he started barking at me a very clear message of "OMG I can't believe you let her leave the circle!!" Singe has a very clear 10 foot circle that he believes everyone should stay in if walking in a group. This also includes people from the kennel club if we are all walking together to go to an event or demo. Even people that he hasn't met before. We've made the most progress on this. But, I can tell that it rattles his cage even if he isn't acting on the behavior. I've been really making him focus on me, but cant' get him to stop checking in on everyone else.

I know that dogs like routine, esp if they "know" breakfast is at 5.45, potty at 6am, etc etc That's why I never feed at exactly the same time. And I'll wait before I take the dogs out to play. Sometimes we'll play before breakfast, sometimes after. Those things drive him up the wall. But, I don't know how to deal with this guy. He is fine with the training that he can't herd people into doing what he wants, he used to actually try to push you in the direction he thought you should go.

Have you seen that show "Monk"......if you have, I think your dog Singe should have been Monk's dog....He sounds very OCD!
gig.gif

you should see him when he doesn't get his exercise!!
hide.gif

last night he amused himself by stalking houseflies. Sometimes he catches them, other times he just knocks over the furniture. It's something I do keep an eye on since OCD behavior is actually common in many breeds, including GSDs. There is actually a huge study going on at Tufts (I think) to determine if there is a genetic link to OCD behavior in the GSD.

He also thinks that you should put on your left shoe before the right one. If I reach for the right shoe first, he will push the left one at me. I always put the right on first, just coz I know it annoys him and I'm not going to let him have his way

RDO-BaxterCoFair-Sept15-2011-Leda-Lila.jpg

at "Meet the Breeds" event last month at the county fair

013-1.jpg

his first day home at 9 weeks

20110820155112.jpg

all that supervision really wears a guy out!

20110811195324-1.jpg

conformation practice. working on getting him to self-stack for the show ring.

with the attention to detail he has on everyone else's behavior you'd think he could remember where to put his feet
roll.png

You might be able to put his routine focus to work for the both of you by getting him involved in something that can use routine. Herding, any sort of routine based agility, carting, etc. Give him something where the routine is always the same, and keep working with him to let him know that he does not set the routine with people or in the house.
smile.png

Also, dogs can experience OCD in ways similar to humans. In humans, sometimes it manifests as anxiety when a certain routine is not completed in a certain way. German shepherds, dobermans, and a few other herding breeds seem to be the most common breeds to express OCD (OCD being Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, not the hip problem also shortened as 'OCD'). Medication can help if this is the cause, as can behavior modification. Combining the two would be your best bet.

There was a ground hornbill I used to work with, who was the father of a family group. He took his routines very seriously as well. I made the mistake once of filling up his water before setting down their food. He fluffed up and charged....but angrily hammered his beak in the water dish instead of on my leg. I loved that bird, because he definitely knew his own strength, but found ways to get his point clearly through without hurting you.

I am actually chatting with his breeder right now. He said that his father, Titus, is the same way. Believe me, Singe knows things aren't going to be necessarily done his way, but that doesn't stop him from giving advice.

He is in conformation and rally classes right now. And the funny thing is, he hates the repetition lol He just wants to know that when you do activity 1, the steps are a, b, c and d

He doesnt exhibit any of the signs of true OCD. He is just very picky and thinks he knows everything. I've met a GSD with OCD and wow. that dog was cracked. A friend at the kennel club has a Welshie that is a spinner.

ETA: He isn't OCD, he's just very picky retentive lol

Last edited:
I once was owned by a GSD. I understand. He died more than 40 years ago and I still miss him - Rhon the greatest dog that I have ever known.

Back
Top Bottom