The run is a muddy mess. What to put down other than sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Nov 27, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't have trees so no leaves to put in there. I don't want to do sand at this point. I need something right away and dh is resistant to sand, what with having to put down gravel first, boards all around to keep it in, etc. I mentioned straw and he said the wind would just blow it all away. Right now they are muddy up to their knees and the eggs are a mess. Any ideas? We probably have plenty of straw but the hay is bought for the cattle.

2. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Hay! Straw!

I use hay in my run, stays where you put it, chickens love scratching through it.

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    hay, woodchips, or even go in the woods and get a bunch of limbs,branches, small logs and lay down side by side.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I use small stone, honestly, hay gets wet and gets moldy, it may look OK on top, but try picking up hay when it's been rained on and you will have the BIGGEST mess and smell around.
    It has made more work for me than stone does, hands down

5. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I know you said you have no tree's, but I LOVE leaves in my run. I to was having a problem with mud, so I added leaves. My solution to no tree's/no leaves, was easy, I let my friends and family know what I was doing, and they all dropped off bags they had raked up at their houses. I even stored some extra bags to top off over the winter.

6. gale65

DH had some older hay so he put a bunch of it in about 1/3 of the run closest to the coop. He said it's alfalfa hay. He put it in after they went in to bed so it'll be funny to see if they're willing to walk on it in the morning. [​IMG]

7. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I put down pea gravel in combination with sand and that has worked out well. The soil never compacts down hard as the chickens are always scratching out new dust bathing spots.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We use hay or straw when our run gets boggy, it seems to work the best for us!

9. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    what about gravel?? the wind shouldn't blow it away..

10. gale65

Eventually I'd like to do a gravel/sand mix. Right now we're supposed to get rain for the next 3 days so I wanted something I could put down quick. Hopefully the hay will help. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by