The run is a swamp!

Flat != level, but assuming you meant the latter...

I'll Echo @aart and recommend raising the run slightly as a long term solution so water tends to drain away quickly when you get seasonally heavy rainfall rates.

Are you amenable to a deep litter composting method in your area? Start by piling in wood chips and yard rakings, and in no time at all the problem will solution itself, much to your bird's delight.

How do you fix drainage anyway? People say to fix the drainage problem, but don't say how.

Depends on topography, but usually involves berms and/or ditches and swales. Worst case, it may require basins and french drains - but for most conditions, some low berms to divert water away from the run, and adjusting the run itself to fall away from the hen house is adequate.

The aim is to discourage water entering the run and house area from outside their footprint, and encourage water to drain out of the house/run area which does fall there.

We can't make a second run in the largest coop. There's no gate to access the run. I have to crawl through the chicken door to get into the run.
The coop was my dad's design, & we all hate it due to there not being a gate to walk into the run. My dad thinks it's funny that me, & my sister has to crawl through the poop, & mud to collect an egg from a new layer, or to wrangle a bird for butchering.
Too bad your dad won't help you make a gate. Do you have a picture you can post?

Flat != level, but assuming you meant the latter...

I'll Echo @aart and recommend raising the run slightly as a long term solution so water tends to drain away quickly when you get seasonally heavy rainfall rates.

Are you amenable to a deep litter composting method in your area? Start by piling in wood chips and yard rakings, and in no time at all the problem will solution itself, much to your bird's delight.
The ground is flat, & is next to a ditch where the largest coop is with the mixed flock.

The other coop with a mud problem also has flat ground.

I live in the city, so my 4 hens can't have a huge run. It has been raining a ton lately, and I'm wondering if they could get sick from that or something? My brahmas leg feathers are super muddy, and it's becoming a swamp. The girls still just play outside, I guess they like the rain, but they're looking very scraggly all wet! Is there like a treat I can make them to warm them up? And is there a skin condition or anything that could result from all the wetness?
Thanks!
Is your run covered? If not I would suggest putting a roof on it that overhangs outside the actual run.

Back
Top Bottom