The run is a swamp!

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
I live in the city, so my 4 hens can't have a huge run. It has been raining a ton lately, and I'm wondering if they could get sick from that or something? My brahmas leg feathers are super muddy, and it's becoming a swamp. The girls still just play outside, I guess they like the rain, but they're looking very scraggly all wet! Is there like a treat I can make them to warm them up? And is there a skin condition or anything that could result from all the wetness?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7969.jpg
    IMG_7969.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7968.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7966.jpg
    IMG_7966.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 20
I have the same problem with 2 of my chicken's runs. My dad wants to plant perennial grass in the runs next spring to see if it will lessen the issue.

Your chicks will likely destroy the grass @MysteryChicken . Not that its not worth trying, but don't get your hopes up. Chickens love to scratch, and very little (certainly nothing I've found yet) can survive the damage they can do in a confined space, such as a static run. I'm going to try mint next spring, planted OUTSIDE the run in a protected area, and allowed to spread inwards.

Even so, grass only provides a spongy buffer against the mud, it doesn't address the real problem - water in the run. To fix that, you need to (literally) step back, @Eva2020. Take a look at the area around your run, with particular attention to the topography.

If your property slopes in a way that directs water towards the run, that's a problem. If you have hard surfaces (roof, patio, etc) nearby that don't allow water to rapidly pass into the soil, that's a problem - because it effectively increases the amount of water falling on the run.

Water will find its own level. You should be considering some combination of berms and/or ditches to divert water away from the run, and to accelerate drainage of what does fall on the run. Some quick work with a shovel, followed by some annual rye (cheap, sprouts fast, will help control erosion till your yard grasses have a chance to grow in next year) are likely all you need to address minor to moderate run off issues.

As to muddy brahma feathers, in warm weather, its not an issue unless they stay wet for extended periods. Once the mud dries, it will flake off - they are (or at least mine are) fastidious birds, and will work at cleaning those feathers. Your concern **IS**, however, quite reasonable because in very cold weather, that wet mud can freeze in their foot feathers, and cause big issues. You want to address that much sooner, rather than later.

I would add a thick layer of wood chips to your run. This will lift them up out of the wet layer, even if you cannot fix your drainage. Add more wood chips as needed. I don't know your soil, but around here our clay soil will harden to concrete balls that can only be removed by cutting the feathers. Constant wet conditions breeds bacteria and fungus. Please do get your birds on dry ground. Best of luck!

Your chicks will likely destroy the grass @MysteryChicken . Not that its not worth trying, but don't get your hopes up. Chickens love to scratch, and very little (certainly nothing I've found yet) can survive the damage they can do in a confined space, such as a static run. I'm going to try mint next spring, planted OUTSIDE the run in a protected area, and allowed to spread inwards.

Even so, grass only provides a spongy buffer against the mud, it doesn't address the real problem - water in the run. To fix that, you need to (literally) step back, @Eva2020. Take a look at the area around your run, with particular attention to the topography.

If your property slopes in a way that directs water towards the run, that's a problem. If you have hard surfaces (roof, patio, etc) nearby that don't allow water to rapidly pass into the soil, that's a problem - because it effectively increases the amount of water falling on the run.

Water will find its own level. You should be considering some combination of berms and/or ditches to divert water away from the run, and to accelerate drainage of what does fall on the run. Some quick work with a shovel, followed by some annual rye (cheap, sprouts fast, will help control erosion till your yard grasses have a chance to grow in next year) are likely all you need to address minor to moderate run off issues.

As to muddy brahma feathers, in warm weather, its not an issue unless they stay wet for extended periods. Once the mud dries, it will flake off - they are (or at least mine are) fastidious birds, and will work at cleaning those feathers. Your concern **IS**, however, quite reasonable because in very cold weather, that wet mud can freeze in their foot feathers, and cause big issues. You want to address that much sooner, rather than later.
It was my dad's idea. I want to replace the run dirt with sand.

^I'm not a fan of sand. It only helps drainage till water hits a level that is not sand, and it only drains well until the chickens droppings have caked it up - which in a static run, doesn't take long.

There are those who find sand successful. I'm not one of them, and have not yet discerned what it is about their situation that makes sand work for them.

and for what its worth, my soil is clay-y sands and sandy clay in the area of my run. The sandy loams (which are great for drainage) are unfortunately on the other side of the hill from my coup. I use a series of berms for runoff control (there is an acre of hill above my coup), and dug a shallow depression in my run to help collect rain falling on it, which forms a shallow pond that feeds a broad ditch, which is then directed outside the run and down the hill. I use spent straw from the house and raked leaf litter to add to the ground cover, but it breaks down as fast as i pile it in (I really should rake up leaf litter for addition to the run more frequently - its easily 500 sq ft, so a few bags of leaves really don't make much difference.)

Regarding your Brahma’s muddy leg feathers - we have a big Cochin roo, Sergeant Littlejohn, with the same problem. I keep a pair of bandage scissors in the coop to trim the feathers most inclined to get mud-logged. I wouldn’t be able to do the deed during the day, but when he’s up on the roost, settling in for the night, he’s totally cooperative.

And they DO love playing in the rain. I think lots of little creepycrawley things come out and the chickens want to be ready 😋

PNW here, and we know rain!

Toss in whatever you can: leaves, mulch, wood chips, twigs etc to create a buffer between the mud and your gals. It should be a pretty good layer so that they can scratch around in it without churning up mud puddles easily. You should also look at maybe stretching a tarp over a portion of your run if you're unable to do a permanent cover so the girls have some cover from the rain if they want it. Finally, add some "islands" to the run--stumps, cement pavers or bricks. Something they can hop up on to keep their feet dry.

Back
Top Bottom